Just started my 2nd tank cycle, some help?

FuriuzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

i have just started a new waterbox 50.3 AIO tank!
Yesterday i added 22lbs live indonesian ocean rock & 8lbs dry rock, together with a layer of Natures ocean bioactive sand.
I'm planning to move my corals and fish from my other tank towards this tank once it is ready.
Is there something i should/can do to make sure the cycling process goes well? Or should i just wait & let it cycle 4-6 weeks?
It's my first time using live rock out of the ocean.

Thanks yall :D

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the live rock, the tank is ready to go. I would test for ammonia for a few days to see if there is an ammonia spike from any die off that may have occurred that was on the live rock. Other than that, it is fish and coral ready.

OP
OP
FuriuzReef

FuriuzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the live rock, the tank is ready to go. I would test for ammonia for a few days to see if there is an ammonia spike from any die off that may have occurred that was on the live rock. Other than that, it is fish and coral ready.
The rock has been in transport for atleast a day where it was only kept damp, not fully submerged. i think i might have some die off as you say... i'm scared to add fish that fast tho ha

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock has been in transport for atleast a day where it was only kept damp, not fully submerged. i think i might have some die off as you say... i'm scared to add fish that fast tho ha
Do you have green nuisance algae growing?

If yes, add your CUC first

If not, probably not ready

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a test kit to test where the cycle is presently? Testing first your ammonias then nitrites and finally nitrates. As soon as you’ve gone through this test progression and your levels are good, you are good to begin slowly adding fish, inverts, corals etc.

OP
OP
FuriuzReef

FuriuzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a test kit to test where the cycle is presently? Testing first your ammonias then nitrites and finally nitrates. As soon as you’ve gone through this test progression and your levels are good, you are good to begin slowly adding fish, inverts, corals etc.
Yeah, i have been trough this process before with my allready existing tank.
I was just wondering if there were any thing i should know when using ocean live rock.
My previous tank was used with live rock from a cycled tank (skip cycle).

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, i have been trough this process before with my allready existing tank.
I was just wondering if there were any thing i should know when using ocean live rock.
My previous tank was used with live rock from a cycled tank (skip cycle).
There shouldn’t be any difference between the two.

OP
OP
FuriuzReef

FuriuzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He used live rock, it's already cycled. The only thing that may cause concern is die off that could cause an ammonia spike.
But, you are telling me that if i use live rock my tank is as good as cycled? even if its only 60% of the total rock?
I should just keep testing till my ammonia is 0 & i'm good to go? not even look at nitrites?

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, live rock already has the bacteria needed to process ammonia. Make sure there is no ammonia as there could have been a spike from die off during transportation.

OP
OP
FuriuzReef

FuriuzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, live rock already has the bacteria needed to process ammonia. Make sure there is no ammonia as there could have been a spike from die off during transportation.
My tank is now able to drop from 2ppm ammonia to 0 in about 24 hours. I had some diatomes but they are dissapearing now, i do still have a little less than 2 ppm nitrites tho, should i give it a little time to drop before doing anything?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back