Light spectrums and coral coloration

Raphael Dalmeida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I've read the following article:

And as much as I understood the principle I'd like to confirm with the more knowledgeable people here in the forum.

Currently I have 4 pop bloom lights that are very similar spectrum to the Red Sea 90 leds. It's a huge amount of Blue light, and a bit of Cyan, White and Moonlight.

Based on what I've read on this article, to better excite RFP, BFP and YFP and chromo proteins certain spectrums and intensity are required.

So I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to supplement my lighting with additional LEDs on

UV 395-400nm,
Green and Cyan spectrums
and Amber light through Warm White Light (3000-4500k).

As much as my corals are growing and doing well, I feel like the coloration is not quite there.

Help me out here hehe I'm no expert.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing that article.

I know I'm running full spectrum, to 3-hour ramp up that starts with blue and ends with a very white light for 6 hours and then it ramps down opposite of ramping up.

This is what my peek looks like;

20230414_155312.jpg

It's like I need more green myself.
I'm just going to follow along for now.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I've read the following article:

And as much as I understood the principle I'd like to confirm with the more knowledgeable people here in the forum.

Currently I have 4 pop bloom lights that are very similar spectrum to the Red Sea 90 leds. It's a huge amount of Blue light, and a bit of Cyan, White and Moonlight.

Based on what I've read on this article, to better excite RFP, BFP and YFP and chromo proteins certain spectrums and intensity are required.

So I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to supplement my lighting with additional LEDs on

UV 395-400nm,
Green and Cyan spectrums
and Amber light through Warm White Light (3000-4500k).

As much as my corals are growing and doing well, I feel like the coloration is not quite there.

Help me out here hehe I'm no expert.
There's a good chance that would help with coloration, yes, but I can't say for sure if it would.

To add what I can here:
For that reason, like I've said before, at this point in time (barring a major, undeniable scientific breakthrough with our knowledge of corals and light), I would personally only suggest running the windex blue tanks if you really want to see the coral fluorescence pop (as mentioned by others, though, the colors may be best in the long run if you run different spectrums than just blue throughout the day). Like many others have mentioned in various forms by this point, I'd personally run a full-spectrum (white) light that leans somewhat more toward the blue side of things. Is that the "best" spectrum? Maybe, maybe not, but it seems like a good, safe place to start from.

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 28 62.2%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 6.7%
Back