Lighting failure acclimation

cgarr017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A recent power outage surge caused one of my two ballasts for my LEDs to fail in my 150g mixed reef tank. The manufacturer is sending a replacement ballast but it won't be for another 3 weeks. My question is:

1) should I keep my one working LED fixture in the middle and keep rock work as is (roughly 4 feet of rock work and young coral, not a ton of $$ invested just yet in coral, but some nonetheless)

2) keep one LED in the middle and move all coral to the middle (which could be problematic for RBT anemone if decides to move around after rearranging everything in close proximity)

3) alternate the one LED fixture on the right side one day and left side one day until I receive the replacement

Also open to any DIY fixes for the ballast if there are any suggestions. It was plugged into a surge protector power strip FYI

Dread Pirate Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really sure what the best approach would be. Even with the alternating light your BTA may want to follow. lol

I think in a pinch I would go to Home Depot or other such store and buy some 6500k flood lights to cover things. These get used in refugiums so should work for corals, to some extent? You could also look on Facebook Market Place and see if anyone locally is selling their lights for cheap. :)

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post up photos of the power supply that failed along with the type of connector. Perhaps a replacement can be found quicker than the manufacturer can get one to you.

Back