Little Bit Bored...Come up With Any Aquarium Related Topic for Me and See If We Agree

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Choose a topic of your choice (preferably something to do with reefing in some way) and I'll give my honest opinion. No holding back...

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh boy, you could really get yourself in trouble with this one……you need a table with a banner saying some absurd statement like “maintaining a ph of 8.9 promotes coral, health, growth, and coloration….. change my mind “

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh boy, you could really get yourself in trouble with this one……you need a table with a banner saying some absurd statement like “maintaining a ph of 8.9 promotes coral, health, growth, and coloration….. change my mind “
6jstvo.jpg

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, people find something that seems to work (probably luck a lot of times) and from that point forward they believe it's the only way possible. We all know every tank is different and yes there are scientific reasons for certain colorations but chasing numbers (not only pH) is absurd to me
Just saw the picture

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, people find something that seems to work (probably luck a lot of times) and from that point forward they believe it's the only way possible. We all know every tank is different and yes there are scientific reasons for certain colorations but chasing numbers (not only pH) is absurd to me
Just saw the picture
Oh I’m with ya…. Sometimes I think people come up with things and put it on you tube, or the forum, just so they can sit back….. pop the top on an ice cold beer, and watch the madness ensue

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I’m with ya…. Sometimes I think people come up with things and put it on you tube, or the forum, just so they can sit back….. pop the top on an ice cold beer, and watch the madness ensue
I'm gonna make a post partially out if curiosity...wanna see the comments

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say as a singular source, yes. That said, a hybrid halide with t5 or led bars would be my choice. Halides just don’t have the blue, actinic, pop by themselves for some of the acid trip/black light corals out there now
You are right. I've always ran them with actinics and blues. I just wish they weren't so dang hot. I miss the natural look of Ushio 10ks with actinics on my old tank. Twin 175s and two 55w PC actinics on my 75 would grow anything. That was 20 years ago and electricity was way cheaper it seemed. I still have them and the water chiller hanging out in my garage.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right. I've always ran them with actinics and blues. I just wish they weren't so dang hot. I miss the natural look of Ushio 10ks with actinics on my old tank. Twin 175s and two 55w PC actinics on my 75 would grow anything. That was 20 years ago and electricity was way cheaper it seemed. I still have them and the water chiller hanging out in my garage.
I can tell you that Kessils are probably the closest thing you can get to mh in an led format. Downside is that you still really need supplemental lighting for the deep blue and actinic. I recently upgraded from ap700s to the 500x units and they are phenomenal.

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • My coral

Votes: 30 55.6%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 3.7%
Back