Live rock with pests question

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a used 180 that came complete with sand(currently in the process of washing and drying it out) and rock. A lot of it is fantastic old rock, stuff that has probably moved around in the hobby for a couple decades (600$ for everything, honestly the rock alone made me happy). As you might guess however, its got some pests, xenia and aptasia. Ive currently got the rock in a 45 gallon brute with a bubbler and a circulator. No heater, house stays around 70.
We are waiting to set up the tank until our new home is completed, between Christmas and early February.
Should i expect the aptasia/xenia to stay on the rocks? If so, is there anything i could do while keeping the rock live and prime?

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have a light over it?

Xenia will perish without light but the Aiptasia will not. I would probably just add natural methods to clean it up once you get the tank set up.

OP
OP
bigbugoutfitters

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Xenia will perish without light but the Aiptasia will not. I would probably just add natural methods to clean it up once you get the tank set up.
No light. I figured that might be the move. Ill probably just add half a dozen peppermintd early on. And I currently have an aptasia eating filefish in my reefer 250.

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, let the xenia die off, then add a few Berghia nudis or peppermint shrimp to take fare of the aptasia.

Back