LPS disease? Toxin? Stomach ache?

Duke2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, this happens to be my first post here. Been a long time lurker with no actual account but I seem to have finally come across something that has me a bit concerned and decided to ask for some advice. Yesterday I noticed one of my acans and a Scoly were not opening up and seemed to be expelling small amounts of what looks like their mesenterial filaments from random spots across the outer tissue. Water tests came out pretty nominal.
Alk: 8.3
Phos: 0.02
Nitrate: 9.5
Calcium: ~460
Mag:~1380
Salinity: 1.026
I proceeded to do a larger water change as well as dip the scoly (unfortunately the acan has attached to the rockwork.). I intended to let this go for a few days while performing dips to see if the problem resolves, but as of coming home from work tonight I have noticed that a duncan now appears (maybe I’m just paranoid with this one) to be doing something similar. Could this be an infection or maybe some kind of potential toxin in the water? Has anyone else experienced something similar?
IMG_7333.jpeg
IMG_7334.jpeg

IMG_7332.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were these pictures taken after the lights went off for the day? These corals all start feeding at night and look much different than in the daylight?

OP
OP
D

Duke2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were these pictures taken after the lights went off for the day? These corals all start feeding at night and look much different than in the daylight?
Yes This is after the lights are out, so they usually open up. None of these are fully opened and feeding. My concern is more so focused on what I assume are white mesenterial filaments that are randomly exuding out of the tissue. It’s pretty easy to see it on the scoly and the acan has very small patches of it scattered about. Those two stayed closed like this all day. The Duncan was open today but only slightly. If you need some daylight pictures for comparison I can take them when lights come on.

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have an scoly doing this as well. But I also have a lps dominant system with other scoly and nothing else does this. Only one orange scoly, who used to be poofy and normal. I’ve posted about it and got typical advice “coral warfare” and I’ve relocated several times with no help. It’s now isolated completely and still does it.

Interested to see if we get help/answers.

BF8989AB-1FFE-4045-8992-7851A3F1A604.jpeg

388FD203-1D47-4D72-A2C2-91F9D10AD4EC.jpeg

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, this happens to be my first post here. Been a long time lurker with no actual account but I seem to have finally come across something that has me a bit concerned and decided to ask for some advice. Yesterday I noticed one of my acans and a Scoly were not opening up and seemed to be expelling small amounts of what looks like their mesenterial filaments from random spots across the outer tissue. Water tests came out pretty nominal.
Alk: 8.3
Phos: 0.02
Nitrate: 9.5
Calcium: ~460
Mag:~1380
Salinity: 1.026
I proceeded to do a larger water change as well as dip the scoly (unfortunately the acan has attached to the rockwork.). I intended to let this go for a few days while performing dips to see if the problem resolves, but as of coming home from work tonight I have noticed that a duncan now appears (maybe I’m just paranoid with this one) to be doing something similar. Could this be an infection or maybe some kind of potential toxin in the water? Has anyone else experienced something similar?
IMG_7333.jpeg
IMG_7334.jpeg

IMG_7332.jpeg
Sometimes my acans are doing the same thing. Retracting for some days and expelling stuff, then they open up again as if nothing was ever wrong. I think this may be a process similar to the the shedding that leather are doing regularly. If they are staying closed for more than a few days there may be a more serious issue though.

Btw welcome to r2r

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 41 40.2%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 13 12.7%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 44 43.1%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 11 10.8%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 22 21.6%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 26 25.5%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 10 9.8%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back