LPS specific tank

Australian_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’m setting a LPS dominated reef tank for the first time in 10years.

I’ve had all types of marine tanks before including FOWLR but looking back on them all it was the LPS that got me most excited. I love SPS and I definitely have a massive soft spot for angels and butterfly’s… which massive constrained my LPS love on my previous tank. So this time, rather than try and cater to everything, high end LPS will be what will be designed for and everything else can fit around that.

I have a love of chalices, trachys, scollys, all euphyllia, lobos etc etc. I have no problem with sps, in fact have partially designed the tank around having a small area for sps and even maybe some choice zoas, but again all secondary to the lps. Fish sticking will also be limited in number but also to the meaty lps reef safe kind.

I’ve done the tank on a budget and also with a nod to easy maintenance (four young children under 5). A 255l budget aqua one reefsys is big enough to play with, but also to easily taken care of and to fill with higher end lps. I moved to Australia 10 years ago and it’s LPS Mecca here. .. but equipment prices are insane.

So tank specs:
70Gallon (255l) DT and small sump. (Not liking the sump layout tbh)

Bare bottom, Carib sea reef rock/marco rock - want minimal detritus plus coral growth on bottom welcome.

Sicce silent return pump turned down to minimum… looking at 3-5x turnover

2x MP10s (back mounted) 50-60% lagoon mode with nutrient transport modes for periods.

2x AI Prime HD run in BRS reccomended levels. PAR to be measured.

No skimmer as yet- space for one will be left but don’t what the tbh too clean for lps

12x blocks of ceramic filtration media in sump and one cycle ing complete a full cheato refugium powered by AI blade fuge on alternative time to main lights.

When heater with teco tk chiller to be added in the next sale as it starts to warm up. Aim for 24 deg c

Reef pro 5 stage RODI and reef crystals for salt. Although I’m following the Australian custom of mainly using natural sea water. I live 100m from the water, its clean and free, and looking at the rock pools it grown some nice corals too!

Expect to need something for water polishing though.. roller filter probably.

Tank is now wet and cycling.bare bottom is certainly taking a lot longer then expected. After watching Dr Tim’s Lecture I Plan to add some crushed coral in bags to sump for easy maintenance and increased surface area on top of the ceramic blocks. Bacteria added current ammonia 0.5… no sign of nitrates yet.

Fish list:
Clown pair
Small tang (purple or a bristle tooth) for algae control
Couple of small blenny/gobies

Corals
95% lps, small number of sps

Love to have feedback.

IMG_6851.jpeg IMG_6829.jpeg IMG_6836.jpeg IMG_6838.jpeg

OP
OP
Australian_Reef

Australian_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So first additions to the tank. Very basic stuff.

Was a long cycle. 35 days.. but then again I’ve never not used live rock and never gone bare bottom. I decided in the end to wait it out and not add sand. I did add 2kg coral rubble though. Plus a few different brands of bottle bac. The one that seemed to break the back of the cycle is prodibac. Or if course it could have just been time!

Ammonia proved very sticky but got no higher than 0.75ish free ammonia (seachem alert) despite ghost feeding prawn, mussel and layer frozen brine. Reached zero a week before adding fish. Perhaps controversially nitrites were still at 1-2ppm. Reading the chemistry behind nitrite toxicity in relationship with chloride ions in saltwater environments I was happy to add livestock at that point. It was going much against my received wisdom, but the case was made for me. Have to say this is the first time I’ve ever tested for nitrite in saltwater. Nitrate test not useful due to the presence is nitrite.

Nyos 120 skimmer went in yesterday, lights at 50%, mp10s at 35%. 2x standard aquaculture occy clowns added as well as 3x lps frags. A bubble, elegance and favia as test corals. 36 hrs later all good so far

Also starting continuous 2% water changes daily using Auto Aqua duo AWC (now d&c branded in uk I think) including the ato. Will probably move to tunze osmolator 3 when my DD is done in this bit of kit.

Fuge to be added very soon with AI blade Refugium and cheato start off. Getting very short on dice though. Decided against collecting wild algae as it’s very illegal here. Plans to move to remote awc and ato soon. This would also give me space for auto testing kit. Looking at kamoer, reef factory and mastertronic versions.

Photos still very blue and not very exciting. Tank will be 100% Australian coral.

IMG_7415.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ps.. how do I add this thread to my tag. Ie my reef tank button

Back