Maddie's 90 Mixed Reef Journey

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why a 90-gallon build

I have been on the hunt for a new reef tank since this past November. Like most of us, adulting kept cutting in line every time I thought I was getting near settling on a deal.

There was a 45-bow front, a 60-gallon, a 75-gallon, then there were a few of the AIO setups that kept shining through despite my preference to avoid them. I even considered a 70-gallon custom build with a local fish store. All of these fell through for one reason or another.

I visited my LFS this week and as I walked to the front door - a store I have been going to for the past 20 years - I was greeted with a huge sign. “Last day open 6/21/2024” I walked, and the entire place was almost completely torn down and turned off. All the fish were gone and there were only 3 tanks still running in the back with frags and encrusted LR you can see they just tossed in. Their main display in the front of the store was still up and running and the corals looked good. Only two tanks left that they had for sale. A 90-gallon tall and a standard 90.

I picked up the standard 90 for a 45% discount. If it wasn’t for the price, I would not have purchased such a large tank. A 90 gallon is to a point that is large enough to scare me a bit. That is a large volume of water to manage. Those water changes will no longer be a simple 5-gallon bucket and done.

Larger tank, No more AIOs, 4ft long LPS tank

I was really looking for and hoping to find something around the 70-gallon size because that was my first size that I really dove deep into coral husbandry, and I sucked at it. I would love to be able to have a chance at that size again. Only now I get to try even bigger!

After my run with my Red Sea Reefer setup, I was pretty sure I did not want to go AIO again. I didn’t exactly feel like my hands were tied with those types of setups, but I felt like I would like the opportunity to have higher quality products at certain points of the system as well as being able to finesse the system as a whole as I see the need arise.

I was really hoping for a 3-foot tank because the cost of lighting jumps every 18ins in length. I still am not really sure about lighting this tank. Still, I am very excited to have such a long tank. My fish are sure to love the ample swimming area I plan to leave for them to play in.

Moving forward and trying to not look back

I am still terrified of a seam or seal leaking or breaking but the tank I purchased states that it has a lifetime limited warranty. That is much longer than the 3 year one my previous tank had which burst at the 3-year mark. I know things can always happen, but I have to tell myself not to let my past mishaps deter or hold me from enjoying this great hobby we all love.

Difficulty in keeping corals in a top down only tank

Currently, I am keeping all my corals in a stock tank and I have to say that it has been THE most difficult thing I have tried to do. I can not get used to not being able to view and monitor their health without the clarity of glass. It is frustrating. I have a large top-down viewer but it does not work as well as you would think. Even using it to take photos is an absolute nightmare. Which brings up my next point.

I miss taking photos of the growth of my corals. The documentation of the corals is what draws me the most to this hobby. The photography and videography within this hobby drives me. I love sharing that with others. Half of my love for the hobby is gone while only having a top-down tank.

Things that needed to be upgraded

For a minute let us talk about the equipment I will have to upgrade before I do the actual move. I need sand, I am currently running a bare-bottom setup. I need more rock, about twice as much as I currently have now. My current sump will not fit under the new stand, I can either set it up beside the tank or look for something that fits in the tank. (I am pretty sure I am buying a new sump) Wavemakers, the ones I currently have will not cut it at all. I am tired of them in general and ready to move on. They have treated me great and have been great workhorses, thanks Tunze.

Lights. Sheesh. I don’t even want to look at the price of what I am going to have to put out for this to be up to what I desire. Luckily I am wanting to go LPS dominant so I will be staying away from EcoTech. That being said, 48 inches takes a ton of light. Which means $$$$.

Don't let me forget about a heater.

Did you think I wouldn't give you a few photos? You should know better than that!

PXL_20240620_230250506.jpg

PXL_20240620_230636861.jpg

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to mess with the overflow area to see how the plumbing would work.

PXL_20240621_143014917.jpg

For a second I felt lost, I can't lie about that. From the top we have the return piping which feeds into LocLine. Then we have the adjustable height tubbing for the drain pile. The reducer on the middle row is for the adjustable piping to mount to the bulkhead. Everything left is for the overflow silencing and bulkheads (black parts).

PXL_20240621_143329143.jpg

I had to do a quick search to remember which side the bulkhead O-Rings go on. It is the wet side. It was a bit tricky to reach all the way into the tank to put these in. Nothing too insane just a bit of tip toeing and reaching.

PXL_20240621_143611204.jpg

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two questions.

1. Are Loc-line pliers worth their weight?
  2. What is considered best practices with regards to grain size of sand? (I do plan on housing a sand goby)

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 101 28.9%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 146 41.7%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 87 24.9%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 16 4.6%
Back