MB7 vs MB XLM

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning to start a frag system with a mix of Dr. Tims and MB7 but recently MB XLM was released and i have no idea which one is better. Id like to hear opinions :)

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed MB7 with Dr Tim's. I didn't notice any benefits in time over what other's reported with just Dr Tim's. Actually, I think it took a while longer to cycle. If I use starter again, I'll just pick one unless something comes out with proof that some benefit exists in multiple bacterial products. I'm doubting there is enough to not do that again.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I added MB7 to my 260-gallon system on Christmas I think it was. My cycle did not finish until last week.
I added the proper amount after using Dr. TIm's Ammonia. I wondered if it would have complted sooner had I used the MB XLM. Check out my thread I try to update it often.

Reef Monster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished setting up my Reefer 350. I used dry rock, caribsea arag alive sand, MB Start XLM and put in two clowns on a Thursday. Did a water test on Saturday and my ammonia was at 0, nitrite was at 0 and nitrate was at 2ppm.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I mixed MB7 with Dr Tim's. I didn't notice any benefits in time over what other's reported with just Dr Tim's. Actually, I think it took a while longer to cycle. If I use starter again, I'll just pick one unless something comes out with proof that some benefit exists in multiple bacterial products. I'm doubting there is enough to not do that again.

Instructions on the product says not to use in conjunction with another bacteria product until the cycle is complete. I am cycling my new Nuvo 40 and currently using MB7 with the MB bio balls. I have XLM on the way to speed up the cycle. i believe they are the same bacteria just more concentrated?

It is normal for clumps to form in the product and for the product and the aquarium to have an "earthy"
smell or smell "off" and for the aquarium water to become cloudy and the smell and cloudiness to
remain for many hours after using. This is due to the bacteria themselves and is an indication of
quality and is the reason it is necessary to shake product well immediately before using. Brightwell
recommends that you not use any other type of bacteria product until your cycle with this product is
complete. Do not use live sand or dry seeded artificial live rock. There are no dry bacteria species
that will be compatible with this nitrifying bacteria product! To do so will only lengthen the time
it takes to cycle!

1579656446538.png

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right...was aware I was not following recommendations and was trying something different, it's all in my build thread. Was being brief to make the point that only one product should be used.

That said I think there's only 3-5 days benefit in speed but not sure it adds any quality or diversity to my tank at the end of the day.

I also doubt subsequent additions do much. I'd love to see data on that with all these products coming out. I used MB7 after cycling complete and didn't see anything significant using it or not and reusing it. Didn't see positive or negative effects.

So yes, good for saving some time cycling. Doubts on how much farther the claims can be made.

Last edited:

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 73 27.1%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 117 43.5%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 65 24.2%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 14 5.2%
Back