OP
BristleWormHater

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The battle with bryopsis has begun! I added 1 reef flux pill (200mg of fluconazole) It takes around 14 days to kill all the bryopsis, but I should see affects before then, I'll keep this thread updated!

Last edited:

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The battle with bryopsis has begun! I added 1 reef flux pill (200mg of fluconazole) It takes around 14 days to kill all the bryopsis, but I should see affects before then, I'll keep this thread updated!
For the future, I liked Flux RX better. Instead of pills, they give you two scoopers and powder. I think I was slightly cheaper per serving as well.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@BristleWormHater & @tbrown I’ve never used antibiotics before on my tanks. What is your experience with them? I think it might help with bacterial growth like cyano and brown slime?

- Mitchell.
I rarely put any meds in my tanks. I know lots of people use ChemiClean or whatever it's called for cyano.

My only experience has been with Flux RX and Reef Flux, Microbacter 7, and regular additives (Phosphates, magnesium, alkalinity, Trace, etc).

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I follow the Café thread which has a ton of knowledge. Might pop in on there and ask. I know several people on there have fought dinos and cyano. Several have beat BJD as well.

OP
OP
BristleWormHater

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BristleWormHater & @tbrown I’ve never used antibiotics before on my tanks. What is your experience with them? I think it might help with bacterial growth like cyano and brown slime?

- Mitchell.
This is my first use of them, and it's because bryopsis is pretty much unkillable without the use of fluconazole, it always comes back.

collinnelson9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so glad I caught this bryopsis before it did any damage, how are you faring with dinos?
Not great no budge so far I’m going to give it 2 weeks since I just got my nitrate and phosphate up from 0 to 5 and .03 and doing microbacter 7 and clean then will end up buying Dino x if nothing changes. Is bryopsis something that is always in the tank and appears in the right condition or is it a hitch hiker?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not great no budge so far I’m going to give it 2 weeks since I just got my nitrate and phosphate up from 0 to 5 and .03 and doing microbacter 7 and clean then will end up buying Dino x if nothing changes. Is bryopsis something that is always in the tank and appears in the right condition or is it a hitch hiker?
Bring that phosphate up to .1 if you can. 0.03 is the error level of a Hanna ULR tester so you could be closer to 0. I had Dinos and added UV, MB7, and got my phosphates back up to 0.09. Also, someone suggested hanging a small sheet of filter floss in the tank and rinsing it a little bit before lights came on and a little bit before they turned off.

It took about 3 days to see a difference and about 3 weeks to get past them.

They're still hanging out in the background waiting for my phosphates to drop out again.

OP
OP
BristleWormHater

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a hitchhiker, pray you never get any.

OP
OP
BristleWormHater

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a silly question... but is that even bryopsis? Looks more like regular ol' hair algae to me.
Yes you can't see it well in most pics, but in the sandbed Pic you can see it looks like a little fern, which is the best way to id bryopsis, even if it isn't, fluconazole works on hair algae too.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
BristleWormHater

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
BristleWormHater

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plan:
Here's a general outline of my plans going forwards. Originally I wanted this to be my "normal" tank and I would later get a separate tank to fill with macroalgae, sponges, gorgonians, Christmas tree worms, and scallops but this tank has already cost a lot so I figured why not merge the two ideas. So here's what's next (we'll see how this actually plays out eventually)
In the Next few months of 2024
1. Upgrade return pump and flow nozzles
Hygger DC1500 (396gph) 2x IM SpinStream nozzles
2. X2 black photon clownfish (or some other kind if I change my mind)
3. (Might come before 2, I'm not sure) Macroalgae & Gorgonians
Gold lace gorgonian
Knobby sea finger gorgonian
Red gracilaria
Red sea grapes
More random macros I cam find.
4. Another fish from my stock list, maybe a royal gramma or goby
1. Phytoplanktin culture and dosing pump
2. Clam & Sponges
Clam: Noae, Maxima, or Crocea (probably crocea)
Orange ball
Red branching
Whatever else I can find
3. Feather dusters & Coco worms.
4. More fish probably idk...

OP
OP
BristleWormHater

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bryopsis is gone and flux treatment is over but gha has started to sprout up. Towards the end of the flux cycle the corals began to close a little I'm not sure if that's because of the flux or my extremely low nutrients which is my new problem. I think I might get a fish and expand the cuc this week, the tank desperately needs something to increase nitrate and phosphate but I've been hesitant to get a fish because I'm headed to Spain in January and I'll have to have someone look after it.
Heres some stuff I did, but never posted on here
I added 2 hermit crabs and two more cerith snails awhile ago.
One of my mushrooms melted, it was torn apart by the emerald crabs that were in the tank then it decided to release its foot and take hold in an unreachable crevice with hardly any light and melted :(
20240823_191109.jpg

I also added 1 more trochus snail who died after 2 days and then the one that's lasted so long died too :( I really can't figure out why trochus keep dying when my ceriths are doing fine.

WalkerLovesTheOcean

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bryopsis is gone and flux treatment is over but gha has started to sprout up. Towards the end of the flux cycle the corals began to close a little I'm not sure if that's because of the flux or my extremely low nutrients which is my new problem. I think I might get a fish and expand the cuc this week, the tank desperately needs something to increase nitrate and phosphate but I've been hesitant to get a fish because I'm headed to Spain in January and I'll have to have someone look after it.
Heres some stuff I did, but never posted on here
I added 2 hermit crabs and two more cerith snails awhile ago.
One of my mushrooms melted, it was torn apart by the emerald crabs that were in the tank then it decided to release its foot and take hold in an unreachable crevice with hardly any light and melted :(
20240823_191109.jpg

I also added 1 more trochus snail who died after 2 days and then the one that's lasted so long died too :( I really can't figure out why trochus keep dying when my ceriths are doing fine.
Don't worry about your trip. Get a fish. Preferably get one that will eat pellets. I was gone for a total of 3 weeks this summer and only one of those weeks I had someone checking the tank. My tank was fine. Have someone come over every other day and feed the fish with pellets and you should be good to go. Or get an autofeeder and security camera and have someone you can call if something goes wrong. How long will you be away?

OP
OP
BristleWormHater

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about your trip. Get a fish. Preferably get one that will eat pellets. I was gone for a total of 3 weeks this summer and only one of those weeks I had someone checking the tank. My tank was fine. Have someone come over every other day and feed the fish with pellets and you should be good to go. Or get an autofeeder and security camera and have someone you can call if something goes wrong. How long will you be away?
9 days. I think it'll be fine I've got a buddy who has a tank he could look over it, not sure if he's going anywhere yet.

WalkerLovesTheOcean

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 days. I think it'll be fine I've got a buddy who has a tank he could look over it, not sure if he's going anywhere yet.
Yeah you should be fine. I went on a trip for two weeks and had a friend watch over the tank and feed it for 6 days so my ta k was alone for 8 days and it was fine. 3 fish and lots of coral survived.

OP
OP
BristleWormHater

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feather duster update! (Maybe I should do this on Friday and call it feather duster Friday?)
Anyways hopefully this will cheer you up today. Here's the dusters that came with the live rock
20240911_155037.jpg
20240911_155030.jpg

20240911_155044.jpg

20240911_155136.jpg

20240911_155157.jpg

These white & red ones are everywhere now, I love it. ^
20240911_155412.jpg

These brown ones came in with my corals, I found them outside their tubes at the bottom of the bag, so I threw them in the tank and hoped for the best, and they survived!
20240911_155928.jpg

Just noticed these guys awhile ago, they might be the same as the brown ones, but it's hard to tell.
20240908_215955.jpg

This is my favorite duster, he came in with my corals also, this is an older photo taken at night, because He's not open right now, but he looks great under the blues.

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 38 35.8%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 27 25.5%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 12 11.3%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back