My algae scrubber just grows bubble algae??

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been running an algae scrubber for a couple months now, and initially it started out as hair algae. But the last month it’s been 99% bubble algae on it. what the heck! Also kinda interesting as I don’t have bubble algae in my display tank. The bubbles also end up forming a long tube bubble rather than a normal round bubble because of the water flowing down the screen rather than being submerged in water. Not sure how efficient bubble algae is at nutrient export compared to dense hair algae... Anyone else experienced this with algae scrubbers?

IMG_1224.jpeg
IMG_1226.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the main tank look (algae or no?)

I have not seen this before but algae will grow where it can.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats GOOD growth ! Harvest and let regrow...eventually the scrubber will out compete the DT for unwanted nutrients ..I run my scrubber RDP @ 16 hrs /day ...

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allmine only grows hair but that is interesting. Wouldnt think anything could outcompete hair algae. As long as it's there and not in tank it's beautiful thing

OP
OP
anthonymckay

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats GOOD growth ! Harvest and let regrow...eventually the scrubber will out compete the DT for unwanted nutrients ..I run my scrubber RDP @ 16 hrs /day ...
It's been running in my tank for quite a few months at this point, I harvest it every 2 weeks. I run it RDP 18hrs a day, I would love to say I've noticed a difference in my nutrients, but honestly I haven't. I still have hair algae growing in a few spots in the tank as well.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GIVE IT TIME....the scrubber will win out eventually

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Harvest every 7-10 days

I recently learned it’s actually more efficient to harvest more often

One would think the more algae you have, the more nutrients it’s pulling

But it seems that the new algae that grows sucks up nutrients faster than the established algae

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And you are in a beginning phase that can last months. Give it time

Your tank and rock have bound up phosphates. Every giant clump of algae you harvest is a giant clump of algae that your system is capable of growing, that grew in the scrubber and not the display. And every clump you harvest is exporting excess nutrients.

You are tipping the scales in your favor. Your display tank algae may even get worse for a period of time. As bound phosphates are released from surfaces they might cause temporary algae outbreaks in the tank.

Your growth looks good. The scrubber will grow whatever it needs, based on what excess you have in the water

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You may not see a measurable difference in nutrients but the process is happening

Your rock and sand have excess phosphates bound to them. These are immeasurable and in an unknown quantity but it can be very large.

Your water has a nutrient level that is measurable.

There is a balance between what is bound to rock and what is free in the water. It is called an equilibrium.

The only way to release the phosphate from the rock and sand is to disrupt the equilibrium by removing phosphate from the water. As you suck up phosphate from the water, the phosphate on the rock and sand will unbind, and release into the water, to reestablish the equilibrium. This is the same process that happens when running gfo

Eventually, the rock and sand will run out of phosphate to release, and then the equilibrium will lower, and you will measure a difference. This process can take weeks to months depending how bad the rock and sand is. Just give it time and eventually, you will naturally see an improvement

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 28 75.7%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 8.1%
Back