Need help algae

d.grcich

Fat bottom girls
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spot on a large rock that allways has a huge patch of hair algae. It is very porus and no matter how much I pick at it within days its back. I am thinking about a way to cut the light to just that spot and thought of wrapping it in black pantyhose. What you guys think? Anyone done something like this?

rackyrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, haven't tried that. But wouldn't just the indirect light in the rest of the tank be enough for it to grow? I don't know if it can only use direct light. Have you tried any herbivores to get rid of it? I think sea hares are good for it, but of course can have problems with those as well.
Our LFS will kind of "rent" sea hares out to take care of a problem and then take them back for credit.

anomie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read a thread on RC about raising Mag to get rid of bryopsis.(sp?) Maybe you could try that?

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always build a frag rack and place it right over that rock. Then you not only have a frag rack for your corals, but you also are shading the rock.

If you want to cut the light down by a lot you could make your frag rack out of black/white acrylic and drill holes in it or just use disks versus frag plugs.

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if you have hair algae in one spot even if you cover that rock up, couldn't you still get it on another rock?
Best solution for hair algae is a sea hare; they are reef safe and won't harm your tank if they ink, this is just a bad rumor that I plan to put an end to. Sea hares can be handled without inking and its a rare case when they actually do. I've had my whole tank turned purple and all my corals and fish were fine. Most sea hares will even stop producing ink after a few weeks of eating only green algae.

Lettuce hares are also the best thing for bryopsis, but you need to keep a little on the side because they are so efficient that they will starve when there is no more bryopsis.

Or they also sell phosphate reactors for these problems. ;]

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 57 25.6%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 97 43.5%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 56 25.1%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 13 5.8%
Back