Need help retrieving upside-down IM filter sock...

CrashTestBennie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realized I shouldn't be using a filter sock during my cycle. So after I took it out, I wanted to try and save that good bacteria, and put sock in upside-down, and now it's stuck! Boy am I stupid... Does anyone have any advice for this noob?

splunty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realized I shouldn't be using a filter sock during my cycle. So after I took it out, I wanted to try and save that good bacteria, and put sock in upside-down, and now it's stuck! Boy am I stupid... Does anyone have any advice for this noob?

I am having trouble even picturing what happened.... so.... can you post a photo?

If you still are stuck you might ask IM for advice. They've been very helpful to me when I've done silly things.

OP
OP
CrashTestBennie

CrashTestBennie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to free up space on my phone, I don't have enough memory to save the dang pic...frustrating! Thank you for the advice. I'll give them a call in the morning. Thanks again!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get underneath it to try and push it up? Not sure what it looks like without a photo so just guessing here

OP
OP
CrashTestBennie

CrashTestBennie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here ya go!

Attachments

• 20240929_101205.jpg
    20240929_101205.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 33

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got it now, it is the all in one so no going underneath. I would stop flow and just try to give it a good yank. Idk how else you would get that out. Customer service is a good recommendation to ask before you do it.
If the sock tears, whatever, it is just a cheap filter sock. The IM tanks are well built. I wouldnt be too worried it couldnt take it unless you jammed it in there way too hard
Did the plastic piece somehow get underneath the glass lip that holds it?

OP
OP
CrashTestBennie

CrashTestBennie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got it now, it is the all in one so no going underneath. I would stop flow and just try to give it a good yank. Idk how else you would get that out. Customer service is a good recommendation to ask before you do it.
If the sock tears, whatever, it is just a cheap filter sock. The IM tanks are well built. I wouldnt be too worried it couldnt take it unless you jammed it in there way too hard
Did the plastic piece somehow get underneath the glass lip that holds it?
Yeah, I already cut the sock so it wouldn't filter out all my beneficial bacteria, so no problem there. Thanks for your advice!

OP
OP
CrashTestBennie

CrashTestBennie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, what's usually the top, has locked in at the bottom...which I didn't anticipate there being a lip for it to get hung up on. I may try to snap the black plastic, if customer service can't help.

OP
OP
CrashTestBennie

CrashTestBennie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut the sock and reach into it and pull the plastic part in(towards the center) and up a little, do this all the way around. Then pull it out
I have tried...it's only 2.3" wide and deep, I can only get my fingers in it. Have tried silverware and long tweezers to no avail. I'm about to try and use the long tweezers to stick a suction cup on the black plastic "top" of the sock, to try and pull the side away from whatever it is caught on...

OP
OP
CrashTestBennie

CrashTestBennie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think snipping might be the only way, and I'm cool with that. I'm not even going to use sock filters. I have 2 media caddies with all the shebang...

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those the square socks? I bet one side is stuck underneath the opening to the next chamber. I’ve never had an IM tank but AIOs basically are the same design. Maybe try grabbing it with pliers or something and sliding it towards the exterior side and up
IMG_7281.jpeg

OP
OP
CrashTestBennie

CrashTestBennie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly right! I should have thought about the diagram. Thank you. That actually helps a lot. For some reason I thought it was hung up on outside wall, not the baffle...I bet I can get it now!

OP
OP
CrashTestBennie

CrashTestBennie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I like my waterbox aio but the rear chambers can be tight for sure
Hey brother, I just wanted to thank you again. I received my very first corals today, and I feel like I'd still be dealing with that inverted filter sock if it wasn't for you. So, thank you!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 33 42.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back