Need Help Setting My Custom WB Properly

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know how I should go about setting my custom wb on my camera in order to get the most accurate/color representative images I can take of the corals in one of my DT's under blue LEDs.

My daylight T5 combo is
4 ATI Blue Plus
1 ATI Aquablue Special
1 Fiji Purple

My camera is a Canon EOS 7d.

I have tried various things and always end up with to green, to blue, or to red...

TIA

Mitchell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you shoot in RAW mode? If not then shoot in raw and in the RAW processor in Photoshop select the white balance dropper and click on some sand bed. I find that setting the temp to 50000 also gets you in the ballpark. I shoot Nikon

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I shoot in RAW but I do not alter the WB-Dropdownbar- when I edit in RAW, usually just the temperature.

However my image under LEDs is completely blue so even if I change the wb and temp. in PS RAW the image is still blue.

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take a complely white square that will fill up your "whole picture" and take a picture of it in your tank under your led's. make sure you use shoot top down if you take top down photos, in front of tank, etc..etc.... make sure it's in focus and use it for your custom white balance.

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it does have live view, however I am not familiar with that so I will have to practice shooting in it.

Thanks for the tip!

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you toggle between custom white balance modes? Like one for blue LED and one for daylight. Or do you have to recalibrate each time?

Onedesign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Secretreefer gave the best tip. Put something white in your tank and shoot it. Then use that as your custom white balance. So what's white? Paint tray liners from home depot or a piece of PVC pipe works too.

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • My coral

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back