Need help with a couple things.

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a 5.5 year old 65g tank. I've always struggled with GHA all my time with it. I want to get rid of it so bad but it won't stuff I can never get my nitrates down. I recent completely changed my media out removing bioballs adding in matrix, purigen new carbon and some marineland floss. I also wanna start a fuge in there too. Probably some chaeto but I don't know what light to put on it. I'm also getting 10 turbos and 10 em crabs as well as a icecap skimmer. What other things should I be doing? I've been doing water changes. Anything else?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a 5.5 year old 65g tank. I've always struggled with GHA all my time with it. I want to get rid of it so bad but it won't stuff I can never get my nitrates down. I recent completely changed my media out removing bioballs adding in matrix, purigen new carbon and some marineland floss. I also wanna start a fuge in there too. Probably some chaeto but I don't know what light to put on it. I'm also getting 10 turbos and 10 em crabs as well as a icecap skimmer. What other things should I be doing? I've been doing water changes. Anything else?
So I take it you have a job or canister filter. The following is my experience and opinion. I ran the exact set up. I finally figured out to stop running my salt water like a fresh water. Your rock is your filter. Not bio balls or anything thing else. Use your HOB as your filter sock only. Just use filter floss and change every 2-3 days. Use poli fill from Walmart or Amazon. Nothing else. For a refuge get a penguin 450 I think and remove everything from the system and just add your micro algae. Get a small fresh led that fits over the top of the penguin and leave the lid off. That's it. Try that for awhile.

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 54 55.7%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 37 38.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back