Neptune NP sample intake failure on brand new unit

Bbristow79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, new here. Thanks in advance for the help.

I just set up my new Trident NP. I have the base version as well and I'm familiar with all the known issues. I have taken it apart a few times and replaced parts as part of maintenance. The issue I'm having now is that my new NP is not collecting the sample. The lines are all clear (outside the device).

The interesting part is that when I prime the sample, or calibrate it actually starts shooting bubbles out of the sample line (no i didn't flip the sample/waste line on the back)

I tried to see if the waste line would collect a sample but it doesn't. So I don't think the lines are switched on the inside. I was hoping someone had some insight into what might be going on. Thank you!

OP
OP
B

Bbristow79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some additional information. It took the plate off to have a better look at how everything is working. When I attempt to prime the water sample the motor starts in reverse and pushes air through the sample line into my tank. I'm guessing to clear the line of older water. It then attempts to draw water but nothing comes through, the pipette is dry. Then tries to clear the line again (motor in reverse) and bubble immediately come out. Meaning I don't think any water is being drawn in. The solenoid is open when attempting to draw water. I even removed the tube from the solenoid to double check and let it draw without it attached. Still no water coming through.

Perhaps the motor is not strong enough to draw water but good enough to push air?

RelaxingWithTheReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you perform a Prime Sample, the following steps should occur as I recall:

1. Drain cuvette into waste container.
Upper right solenoid for drain hose = ON
Pump = Reverse
I think pump does a little forward / reverse jog at the end to get every last drop out.

2. Full cuvette with tank water.
Upper left solenoid for black tank hose = ON
Pump = Forward

3. Drain cuvette into waste container.
Upper right solenoid for drain hose = ON
Pump = Reverse
I think pump does a little forward / reverse jog at the end to get every last drop out.

I can't recall if the process repeats.

If the solenoids appear to be sequencing properly, maybe there is a hose that's stuck together where it goes through a solenoid, or maybe the hose in the pump has an area where its stuck together preventing proper flow.

My unit had the sample hose stuck together where it went through the solenoid pinch valve, preventing the fill. I removed the hose from the solenoid, and rolled it between my fingers to unstick it. All good after that.

OP
OP
B

Bbristow79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I will give that a shot. Opened a ticket with Neptune just in case. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. Hoping I didn't just buy an expensive paper weight. I know their products can take a bit of tinkering but in the end are great when working. Cheers!

andrek787

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have the same issue, cuvette is just not filling up anymore. Somehow found the drip tray full of some fluid when I tried to troubleshoot and drops of blue fluid under the pinch valves.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably need to change out the tubing and pinch valve. I think NP reagents are very acidic, so if there is any leaks...it will just destroy the pinch valve quickly. Hence they give you a drip tray. May want to return the unit if it is still within the window.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back