Not sure if clown fish has ich or not, need help.

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 13 gallon nano tank. I have had a small clown fish in it since day 1.
After the tank cycled I added a blenny to the tank. He lasted about a week. He was constantly hiding and breathing very heavily before he died. I then tried a 6 line wrasse, he was good for a week but then the same thing happened as with the blenny.
My concern is ich. The owner of the lfs I go to suggested I don’t add any new fish for about 45 days. As the clown always seemed fine, he felt if he was acting normal annd healthy and lived for another 45 days it likely wasn’t disease that killed the other fish. I’m at day 23 today.

That last 48 hours (day 21/22) my clown was breathing extremely heavily and staying in the top left corner of the tank and didn’t eat. Today I come home and he’s just fine and ate like normal.
Also the clown is mostly white with only his face and tail being orange so it’s hard to check for ich spots.
Should I still be concerned about ich?
Any recommendations?
Thanx

Levels
————
Temp 78
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 20

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I have a 13 gallon nano tank. I have had a small clown fish in it since day 1.
After the tank cycled I added a blenny to the tank. He lasted about a week. He was constantly hiding and breathing very heavily before he died. I then tried a 6 line wrasse, he was good for a week but then the same thing happened as with the blenny.
My concern is ich. The owner of the lfs I go to suggested I don’t add any new fish for about 45 days. As the clown always seemed fine, he felt if he was acting normal annd healthy and lived for another 45 days it likely wasn’t disease that killed the other fish. I’m at day 23 today.

That last 48 hours (day 21/22) my clown was breathing extremely heavily and staying in the top left corner of the tank and didn’t eat. Today I come home and he’s just fine and ate like normal.
Also the clown is mostly white with only his face and tail being orange so it’s hard to check for ich spots.
Should I still be concerned about ich?
Any recommendations?
Thanx

Levels
————
Temp 78
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 20
To best determine and assess, please post pics and even a video under white light intensity

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I can do that but the issue would be he seems totally normal now
Realize , just when you think its gone suddenly they re=appear and believe its back again. They fall off and reproduce and return in numbers

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realize , just when you think its gone suddenly they re=appear and believe its back again. They fall off and reproduce and return in numbers
Yes, totally aware.
Is the fact the clown fish was breathing super heavy for 2 days and not eating indicative of ick? Are there any other reasons he might have done that?
The clown has been in the tank 4 months now. First time I saw him act this way.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Yes, totally aware.
Is the fact the clown fish was breathing super heavy for 2 days and not eating indicative of ick? Are there any other reasons he might have done that?
The clown has been in the tank 4 months now. First time I saw him act this way.
Can be ich, brook, flukes or even velvet which they rarely get. A reason to post a good video under white lighting for best assessment

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back