Nuking weeds like zoas, green polyps and other corals invading rocks..syringe?

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.
Somehow, my zoas invaded some other rocks of the tank even though I tried to keep them isolated, knowing that they are weeds. I think some polyps got loose while fragging or cleaning and flew around the water column. Same for my green polyps, which if it were not for the fact that my mom bought them over 20 years ago, I would have never had. You can see them starting to spread in the middle island. The green polyps next to the pink rock anemone, and to the right, the green/orange zoas invading where a frag of my acro landed and also spread. The polyps are so tough, that they open widely even though they are touching the rock anemone!

I've been a little lazy and now they are noticably invading my foundation rocks as well as the side glass. The side glass is easy, I could just razor them off. But how do you guys deal with the ones invading the rock? I was thinking of syringing them with hydrogen peroxide, or kalk solution? What do you guys do?

20240819_100640.jpg

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may release their palytoxins when exposed to large amounts of hydrogen peroxide

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
In the past when I have had zoanthids moving and spreading to rocks that I wanted to remove, I used a kalk paste.

I would mix up a thick solution of kalkwasser powder and water. To get it thick I would nuke it in the microwave and then using a 5 ml or 10 ml syringe ( no tip) layer it over the zoanthids. But before doing this I would turn off all flow in the tank, including the return pump, and try to not to create water movement.
I would let the kalk paste sit on the area for 20-30 minutes.
Then very carefully syphon off the kalk paste ( I use a python hose drain).
This can get messy if you are not careful. The kalk paste will damage or kill other corals you want to keep if the kalk paste gets on it.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a stainless steel straw attached to a flexible hose and scrape/siphon them out. I have various sized straws for different tasks.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 27 75.0%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 8.3%
Back