Oops I forgot to leave my AC on!

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just realized I turned my AC off before I left for vacation during a heat wave and my room happens to be the hottest in the house. Sadly not the first time I forget about this important thing and probably not the last time I’ll do it. The good news? Nothing died and everything seems to be fine as far as I can tell from the pictures and videos that were sent to me and the AC is back on. I also temporarily turned off the heater to see if I can drop my temp to where I keep it. Fish and corals are so resilient in my experience. So what the hottest or the coldest your reef tank has ever gotten and survived?
IMG_8751.png

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized I turned my AC off before I left for vacation during a heat wave and my room happens to be the hottest in the house. Sadly not the first time I forget about this important thing and probably not the last time I’ll do it. The good news? Nothing died and everything seems to be fine as far as I can tell from the pictures and videos that were sent to me and the AC is back on. I also temporarily turned off the heater to see if I can drop my temp to where I keep it. Fish and corals are so resilient in my experience. So what the hottest or the coldest your reef tank has ever gotten and survived?
IMG_8751.png

The tank water got up to 95°+ and everything was ok? That's awesome, enjoy your trip!

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I'm glad everything pulled through for you!
Lost a hawk fish when our pet rabbit chewed through the temp probe wire and apex heated the tank up into the 90's thinking it was low.
Murderous rabbit!!

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to turn the pumps and heater off in my small softies tank overnight once. It got down to about 65 because it was winter. Didn't loose anything though.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I forgot to turn the pumps and heater off in my small softies tank overnight once. It got down to about 65 because it was winter. Didn't loose anything though.
I’ve had this happen to me too. Humans are forgetful and make mistakes.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be surprised if you don’t get some coral bleaching when it’s all said and done. 95 for 2 days is going to be hard to walk away from unscathed.

If they do bleach, just try to feed them extra for awhile until they build their zooxanthellae #s back up (will take months)

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You haven’t seen deaths yet. But you will. The coral aren’t surviving those temps unscathed. Your temps are really wild as well. Might want to try and stabilize that.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You haven’t seen deaths yet. But you will. The coral aren’t surviving those temps unscathed. Your temps are really wild as well. Might want to try and stabilize that.
These are over a week also I had this happen before and nothing died this was like last year. I also don’t keep SPS for multiple reason but I’m a softie, mushroom, and LPS person. I also admittedly haven’t calibrated my temp probe in a very long time. In my defense and I worried about this in the beginning a few years ago a degree or two or less over 24 hours is not a huge deal. It was only when it was in the 90s that it wasn’t good. But like for the most part my tank fluctuates less than a degree sometimes two.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS IT POSSIBLE TO "MASTER" REEFING? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • No.

Votes: 99 56.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 11 6.3%
Back