Organic potting soil in a reef tank?

CHSUB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 5.5 month reef tank is doing great, except my mangrove is slowing dying over the last 2 months. All corals, including sps are showing excellent growing. Parameters are solid, I feed heavy and run very low inorganic nutrients, po4 0.0-.02, no3 undetectable; probably to the detriment of the mangrove? I recently inserted a root tab in the base of the mangrove but it still is in decline. So here is my solution: above my 33 gal Red Sea I’m adding a 16 gallon tank plumbed into the main display that will be home to my new mangrove. I will have a square layer of organic potting soil, capped with argonite sand and rock around the mangrove. Not certain what else but typically reef stuff. This is a common approach in freshwater planted tanks, but only found one example in a reef tank and it was only a “thought”. Mangroves are root feeding plants and I hope the soil will provide excellent nutrients while not polluting the water with po4 and no3. The cap of argonite will be 4”, preventing up welling of nutrients. Any thoughts?

image.jpg image.jpg

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Braver then I'd be, have you maybe thought of using AquaForest life source mud? The mangrove would thrive in it. Just an idea on what I'd do then adding soil into my reef.
I was thinking the same, AF Mud or Miracle Mud. But first you could reach out to 2 Little Fishies to get advice.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't. Even a very thin layer is a massive amount of 'bioload' for your filtration, and would immediately cycle it. The ammonia that comes from breaking down the soil is more toxic in our higher pH, even with a layer of sand the higher flow is more likely to dig it out, and it's not so much a natural thing in the ocean, since the dirt present in coastal ecosystems is being swept in on the top from rivers and erosion.

You can get similar results in a freshwater tank with maturity and a developed mulm layer, so I'd advocate for developing that. Feed a little extra gradually, leave the sand bed a bit thicker and maybe use a coarser layer on top and let it catch stuff. Avoid stirring up the sand bed. Let a layer of nutrients develop over the course of months rather than shocking the system with a huge boost of nutrients and a wholly turned over sand bed.

OP
OP
CHSUB

CHSUB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Braver then I'd be, have you maybe thought of using AquaForest life source mud? The mangrove would thrive in it. Just an idea on what I'd do then adding soil into my reef.

I was thinking the same, AF Mud or Miracle Mud. But first you could reach out to 2 Little Fishies to get advice.
Yes , and thanks...have thought about both, but don't think they will provide NPK that organic potting soil will.

OP
OP
CHSUB

CHSUB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't. Even a very thin layer is a massive amount of 'bioload' for your filtration, and would immediately cycle it. The ammonia that comes from breaking down the soil is more toxic in our higher pH, even with a layer of sand the higher flow is more likely to dig it out, and it's not so much a natural thing in the ocean, since the dirt present in coastal ecosystems is being swept in on the top from rivers and erosion.

You can get similar results in a freshwater tank with maturity and a developed mulm layer, so I'd advocate for developing that. Feed a little extra gradually, leave the sand bed a bit thicker and maybe use a coarser layer on top and let it catch stuff. Avoid stirring up the sand bed. Let a layer of nutrients develop over the course of months rather than shocking the system with a huge boost of nutrients and a wholly turned over sand bed.
Good point and agree. However, Im only using a small amount of soil and going to run it separately for awhile. One reason is to adjust the mangrove to full saltwater. Still in thought phase...

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my mangrove, I used AF life force mud, then put a layer of sand on top, my tree is going on 3 years now and growing steadily.

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ping 2LF and ask for advice, lots of mangrove experience there. They were down at RAP Anaheim selling/talking mangrove and sea grass (which i meant to purchase).

OP
OP
CHSUB

CHSUB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ping 2LF and ask for advice, lots of mangrove experience there. They were down at RAP Anaheim selling/talking mangrove and sea grass (which i meant to purchase).
I have watched all his videos and many others. Inland Reef guy has been very helpful. However, the actual grower has given the most detailed info on how she grows mangroves. I’m also getting a black mangrove but growing that in freshwater. Have failed a number of times in my reef tank, but growing in freshwater they are easy. I believe my system lacks NPK to grow mangroves and this is my attempted solution. Also maybe to quick from brackish water to full salt. I have tons of pods floating by my house daily, so going to try to root one too in main tank if current one dies.

Back