ozone with out ORP probe.....hear me out!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as I start to stock my IM 200P it will be a FOWLR foucuing on dwarf angels and butterflies. with a few others in the mix.

its time to fire up the poseiden ozone generator. the focus is basically water clarity - any other benefit, if any would just be a bonus.

I know its standard practice to use ORP probe along with ozone. I do have a apex that I have never really used. need a new ORP probe as I stored dry.

reading back through some Ozone threads i reread this from randy..

In dosing ozone to a reef aquarium, the more ozone that is added to the system, the higher the ORP will rise. I do not agree with assertions that some aquarists have made that higher ORP means cleaner or "better" water. If ORP is going to be used as a guide to prevent overdosing of ozone, however, then some commentary is needed on ORP's target levels.

Without using ozone, reef aquaria vary widely in their ORP values. Some aquarists report values in the upper 300's of mV, while a few even claim over 400 mV. My reef system's ORP runs in the middle to upper 200 mV without ozone. Some claim even lower values. Part of these ranges may relate to complications in calibrating ORP measurements and equilibrating ORP electrodes (a process that can take days), and part to the fact that ORP varies with pH, but much of it likely relates to real aspects of husbandry that change the base ORP that an aquarium attains.

Before going on to discuss ORP and ozone, let me relate one issue that may impact how strongly aquarists should rely on the accuracy of ORP. As mentioned above, ORP is not a simple equilibrium measurement. The probe itself may have a memory of what it has previously been exposed to, and that may impact readings, EVEN IF it seems to be properly calibrated. That memory may relate to organic and inorganic materials attached to the platinum surface itself. For example, if I calibrate my ORP probe (in Pinpoint 400 mV fluid), let it equilibrate in my tank for many days and then put it back into a new batch of the same ORP calibration fluid, it reads the value it is supposed to in the calibration fluid. But after returning it to the tank's water, the tank's ORP reads 25-30 mV higher than before the probe was put into the calibration fluid, and that boost lasts for days. Likewise, putting the ORP electrode into very high ORP solutions (the ozone reactor's effluent, for example) seems to impact the electrode in the opposite direction, dropping the tank's observed ORP by about 25 mV when measured more than a day later (and much more when measured right away). The take-home message is that aquarists should not interpret small, absolute ORP changes as meaning anything in particular, and they may, in fact, simply reflect changes happening to the ORP probe itself, and not changes actually occurring in the water.

Upon initiating ozone use, some aquarists, like me, see only a small rise in ORP even at recommended levels of ozone. My ORP doesn't rise above 330 mV, for example, and some aquarists' tanks are still in the 200 mV range even after initiating ozone. Others, presumably those who start with a high ORP value, although that may not be the only factor, easily drive their tank's ORP too high if it is not controlled.

So with all that background discussion behind us, here are my recommendations for ORP monitoring and ozone control in reef aquaria using a properly sized ozone generator that appears to be working, and a properly calibrated ORP meter:

If the ORP never seems to rise above 375 mV after initiating ozone, do not worry about controlling the ozone or the ORP. Just let it run full out. Also, do not worry about needing a larger generator, assuming it has driven up the ORP by at least 25 mV above where it was before adding ozone. It is likely accomplishing the necessary tasks (such as making the water clearer). Only if some other aspect of ozone use is unsatisfying (e.g., lack of water clarity) would I look for other options such as a larger ozone generator or a better contact chamber.
2. If the ORP starts above 375 mV, or rises there during ozone use, using an ORP controller would be valuable to prevent the ORP from rising too high. Use the controller to shut off the ozone when the ORP rises too high. Another option would be to shut off the air flow to save the dryer's media, but be sure that water cannot flow back into the ozone generator if the air stops. I would set the ORP target somewhat above the baseline ORP in the absence of ozone - at least 350 mV, maybe 400 mV, but never above 450 mV.

my take away is that ORP probes and the use for Ozone is iffy.
also seeing that Ryan from BRS only runs Ozone 15-20 min. a day

I was going to start out at 15mim. then go from there.

so my question is why cant we just use a timer for the 15-30min. in the middle of the night and skip the whole OPR probe?

I do understand the concept of redundancy, but seems most timers or controllers are pretty reliable these days.

also are we sure ORP probes need to be stored wet? its been dry for a few years now. :(:

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a probe would be helpful. It’ll give you a peace of mind.

Can it be done without a probe? Maybe. But I think you’ll have better results with a probe. You won’t have to worry about overdosing it. Maybe you’ll want to run it longer to increase the water clarity, but will be afraid to because you don’t know how high the ORP is.

I think it’s a small price to pay for a piece of mind. Think about when you’ll want to increase the dose. 15min per day is nothing. :)

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
145 dollar controller. Seems to me that guessing what the ORP is, is a bad idea

I've run an ORP controller back in day without ozone. Just so I knew what it was
1000002968.jpg

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh i should note that I will be running my Ozone throght the RO 250 int. skimmer.

also not 100% sure i am going to keep the apex....
Why don’t you try to plug the ORP probe and see how it does after 2 days of getting seasoned in your aquarium?

It’s more about the trends than the actual reading. I think it might still work. Try it out! You got nothing to lose!

Also, I’d keep the Apex. It has a timer function for the Ozone generator and you already have it. :)

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as I start to stock my IM 200P it will be a FOWLR foucuing on dwarf angels and butterflies. with a few others in the mix.

its time to fire up the poseiden ozone generator. the focus is basically water clarity - any other benefit, if any would just be a bonus.

I know its standard practice to use ORP probe along with ozone. I do have a apex that I have never really used. need a new ORP probe as I stored dry.

reading back through some Ozone threads i reread this from randy..

In dosing ozone to a reef aquarium, the more ozone that is added to the system, the higher the ORP will rise. I do not agree with assertions that some aquarists have made that higher ORP means cleaner or "better" water. If ORP is going to be used as a guide to prevent overdosing of ozone, however, then some commentary is needed on ORP's target levels.

Without using ozone, reef aquaria vary widely in their ORP values. Some aquarists report values in the upper 300's of mV, while a few even claim over 400 mV. My reef system's ORP runs in the middle to upper 200 mV without ozone. Some claim even lower values. Part of these ranges may relate to complications in calibrating ORP measurements and equilibrating ORP electrodes (a process that can take days), and part to the fact that ORP varies with pH, but much of it likely relates to real aspects of husbandry that change the base ORP that an aquarium attains.

Before going on to discuss ORP and ozone, let me relate one issue that may impact how strongly aquarists should rely on the accuracy of ORP. As mentioned above, ORP is not a simple equilibrium measurement. The probe itself may have a memory of what it has previously been exposed to, and that may impact readings, EVEN IF it seems to be properly calibrated. That memory may relate to organic and inorganic materials attached to the platinum surface itself. For example, if I calibrate my ORP probe (in Pinpoint 400 mV fluid), let it equilibrate in my tank for many days and then put it back into a new batch of the same ORP calibration fluid, it reads the value it is supposed to in the calibration fluid. But after returning it to the tank's water, the tank's ORP reads 25-30 mV higher than before the probe was put into the calibration fluid, and that boost lasts for days. Likewise, putting the ORP electrode into very high ORP solutions (the ozone reactor's effluent, for example) seems to impact the electrode in the opposite direction, dropping the tank's observed ORP by about 25 mV when measured more than a day later (and much more when measured right away). The take-home message is that aquarists should not interpret small, absolute ORP changes as meaning anything in particular, and they may, in fact, simply reflect changes happening to the ORP probe itself, and not changes actually occurring in the water.

Upon initiating ozone use, some aquarists, like me, see only a small rise in ORP even at recommended levels of ozone. My ORP doesn't rise above 330 mV, for example, and some aquarists' tanks are still in the 200 mV range even after initiating ozone. Others, presumably those who start with a high ORP value, although that may not be the only factor, easily drive their tank's ORP too high if it is not controlled.

So with all that background discussion behind us, here are my recommendations for ORP monitoring and ozone control in reef aquaria using a properly sized ozone generator that appears to be working, and a properly calibrated ORP meter:

If the ORP never seems to rise above 375 mV after initiating ozone, do not worry about controlling the ozone or the ORP. Just let it run full out. Also, do not worry about needing a larger generator, assuming it has driven up the ORP by at least 25 mV above where it was before adding ozone. It is likely accomplishing the necessary tasks (such as making the water clearer). Only if some other aspect of ozone use is unsatisfying (e.g., lack of water clarity) would I look for other options such as a larger ozone generator or a better contact chamber.
2. If the ORP starts above 375 mV, or rises there during ozone use, using an ORP controller would be valuable to prevent the ORP from rising too high. Use the controller to shut off the ozone when the ORP rises too high. Another option would be to shut off the air flow to save the dryer's media, but be sure that water cannot flow back into the ozone generator if the air stops. I would set the ORP target somewhat above the baseline ORP in the absence of ozone - at least 350 mV, maybe 400 mV, but never above 450 mV.

my take away is that ORP probes and the use for Ozone is iffy.
also seeing that Ryan from BRS only runs Ozone 15-20 min. a day

I was going to start out at 15mim. then go from there.

so my question is why cant we just use a timer for the 15-30min. in the middle of the night and skip the whole OPR probe?

I do understand the concept of redundancy, but seems most timers or controllers are pretty reliable these days.

also are we sure ORP probes need to be stored wet? its been dry for a few years now. :(:

There are plenty of threads on these forums where folks have woken up to a tank of dead fish due to ozone overdose.

Of course it's your call depending upon your appetite for risk.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make a 10:1 water:bleach solution and measure the ORP with the probe. It should be in the 600-700 range. I can test mine and see where it reads.

It’s a good way to periodically clean the probe, too. The bleach test is a good way to see how the probe responds to oxidizers. It will also clean it out.

Just don’t accidentally dump the bleach water into the tank!

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20240705_161232.png

I currently run an ozotech200 on my 470g display tank (~650g actual water volume)

The ozotech is run at the lowest (I guess it's a 2 since 1 is off for mine) 24/7 which is fed through a vectra m2 + venturi and into a repurposed biopellet reactor that's probably about 40" tall or so to ensure adequate reaction time and lastly into a brs reactor filled to the brim with rox carbon to remove any possible residuals+by products of ozone reactions. I initially tried with a reef octopus elite 220 and carbon lid with rox carbon but found the residual smell of ozone to be present even on the lowest setting during operation (and I wasn't confident that I was catching enough of the effluent from the skimmer)

A few observations utilizing an orp probe in my sitation is that readings would generally be up and down but would gradually trend up overtime (focus more on trends than anything else since exposure to ato water+water changes+ some dosed items will cause it to go all over the place). Does that mean the probe itself is useless? Hardly since it's what allowed me to decide on my "low" but continuous dose of ozone in my situation while doubling as a fail safe via the controller should the orp end up to be what I consider as too high (I set mine at 350 personally despite anecdotes of others going much higher)

I'm not entirely sure how you will ultimately decide on when to stop your adjustments after your initial "15mins and go from there approach", along with quantity dosed without an orp probe. Will it be through water clarity? or perhaps something you read randomly from another hobbyist?

Unfortunately I find that to be a very irresponsible and unwise gamble on your part considering no two aquariums (even with the same owner) are ever the same.
1720222755760.png

As we can see from this small excerpt from ozotech itself, they suggest a 4-6 on a system with significantly less water volume than the current tank I employ ozone one and very likely has a much lower bioload than mine.

From trying that number myself (5) based on research, my orp did eventually rise over 4 days to the 350 level which caused my controller to shut off the generator with no noticeable signs of distress in my animals during use. What would happen if I didn't have an orp probe/monitor since I wouldn't have suspected anything in those 4 days? Would my orp go above 350 and nothing negative would happen? Or would it go above 350 and my more sensitive/all my fish would die since I have no way of knowing how high the orp would ultimately go (or what number is realistically safe since its different for everyone)

Now I can understand that most people wouldn't aim to run it 24/7 but depending on quantity + duration, you may gradually trend higher in a similar manner. At what point would you be aware of "too much" without a method of measuring besides stuff dying?

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20240705_161232.png

I currently run an ozotech200 on my 470g display tank (~650g actual water volume)

The ozotech is run at the lowest (I guess it's a 2 since 1 is off for mine) 24/7 which is fed through a vectra m2 + venturi and into a repurposed biopellet reactor that's probably about 40" tall or so to ensure adequate reaction time and lastly into a brs reactor filled to the brim with rox carbon to remove any possible residuals+by products of ozone reactions. I initially tried with a reef octopus elite 220 and carbon lid with rox carbon but found the residual smell of ozone to be present even on the lowest setting during operation (and I wasn't confident that I was catching enough of the effluent from the skimmer)

A few observations utilizing an orp probe in my sitation is that readings would generally be up and down but would gradually trend up overtime (focus more on trends than anything else since exposure to ato water+water changes+ some dosed items will cause it to go all over the place). Does that mean the probe itself is useless? Hardly since it's what allowed me to decide on my "low" but continuous dose of ozone in my situation while doubling as a fail safe via the controller should the orp end up to be what I consider as too high (I set mine at 350 personally despite anecdotes of others going much higher)

I'm not entirely sure how you will ultimately decide on when to stop your adjustments after your initial "15mins and go from there approach", along with quantity dosed without an orp probe. Will it be through water clarity? or perhaps something you read randomly from another hobbyist?

Unfortunately I find that to be a very irresponsible and unwise gamble on your part considering no two aquariums (even with the same owner) are ever the same.
1720222755760.png

As we can see from this small excerpt from ozotech itself, they suggest a 4-6 on a system with significantly less water volume than the current tank I employ ozone one and very likely has a much lower bioload than mine.

From trying that number myself (5) based on research, my orp did eventually rise over 4 days to the 350 level which caused my controller to shut off the generator with no noticeable signs of distress in my animals during use. What would happen if I didn't have an orp probe/monitor since I wouldn't have suspected anything in those 4 days? Would my orp go above 350 and nothing negative would happen? Or would it go above 350 and my more sensitive/all my fish would die since I have no way of knowing how high the orp would ultimately go (or what number is realistically safe since its different for everyone)

Now I can understand that most people wouldn't aim to run it 24/7 but depending on quantity + duration, you may gradually trend higher in a similar manner. At what point would you be aware of "too much" without a method of measuring besides stuff dying?
all good points.
I have the hydros on the other tank.
been thinking if I want to go all hydros or keep the apex on one tank and the hydros on the other. that would be the cheapest option as I have it. but another system to learn.
to be honest I have not really used either controllers.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make a 10:1 water:bleach solution and measure the ORP with the probe. It should be in the 600-700 range. I can test mine and see where it reads.

It’s a good way to periodically clean the probe, too. The bleach test is a good way to see how the probe responds to oxidizers. It will also clean it out.

Just don’t accidentally dump the bleach water into the tank!
i'll give this a try. maybe it will be fine.
I'll have to dig out the apex. do all the updates on my slow interwebs and see what's the story.

i'll posted back so if people are searching and find this thread they will have an idea if it worked or not.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back