Perfect parameters?

timmyrules

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I’ve been trying to boost coral growth in my tank…..I really tried to button down the calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity parameters for optimum coral growth…I also have some amino acid for the corals that is coming later today….right now the parameters are: KH- 8.4 dkh, Ca- 450 ppm, Mg- 1300 ppm…..is there such thing as perfect parameters for coral growth???? And if so what are they?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I’ve been trying to boost coral growth in my tank…..I really tried to button down the calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity parameters for optimum coral growth…I also have some amino acid for the corals that is coming later today….right now the parameters are: KH- 8.4 dkh, Ca- 450 ppm, Mg- 1300 ppm…..is there such thing as perfect parameters for coral growth???? And if so what are they?
Ask a hundred people and get a thousand answers. Your in the ball park.

scotty333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect parameters are the big 8 that don’t change week in week out
Temp
Salinity
Ph
Kh
Calcium
Magnesium
Nitrate
Phosphate

Once all these are solid you’ll see a big difference from them swinging around

A little automation can help or wcs depending on uptake and nutrient load

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to get different answers from just about everyone. Some people will have tanks thriving with high parameters, some with low. There are a lot of factors that play into why coral grows and what works best for your tank.

scotty333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The perfect water parameters for a reef aquarium are crucial for the health and growth of coral and marine life. Maintaining stable water quality is key. Here are the ideal water parameters for a reef aquarium:

1. **Temperature**: 76-80°F (24-27°C)
2. **Salinity**: 1.023-1.026 specific gravity (SG) or 35 ppt (parts per thousand)
3. **pH**: 8.1-8.4
4. **Alkalinity (dKH)**: 8-12 dKH (carbonate hardness)
5. **Calcium (Ca)**: 400-450 ppm (parts per million)
6. **Magnesium (Mg)**: 1250-1350 ppm
7. **Ammonia (NH3/NH4+)**: 0 ppm
8. **Nitrite (NO2-)**: 0 ppm
9. **Nitrate (NO3-)**: Less than 5 ppm; ideally 0-2 ppm for sensitive corals
10. **Phosphate (PO4)**: Less than 0.03 ppm
11. **Strontium (Sr)**: 8-10 ppm
12. **Iodine (I)**: 0.06-0.08 ppm

Maintaining these parameters requires regular water testing and adjustments as needed. It's important to note that consistency is as important as the specific values; sudden changes can be stressful or fatal to marine life. Regular water changes, proper filtration, and a balanced biological ecosystem will help maintain these conditions.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your absolute best effort at stability > perfect parameters
While you should try for both, the less you fuss with your tank, add corals/fish, change dosing/lighting schedules is, by far, more impactful than nailing 420Ca 7-8dkH, 1350 Mg @ 1.026 Salt

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is often true that only one thing can limit growth at a time, and for corals in seawater, that is typically availability of bicarbonate/carbonate which shows up to us as alkalinity and pH. As long at calcium and magnesium are normal or higher, they won’t be limiting. So calcium above 400 ppm and magnesium at 1300 ppm or higher will all have about the same effect on hard coral growth rates.

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 48 57.1%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back