Pictures of dual sump setups?

litebulb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done all the research about running to sumps using one for a refugium and the other for the protein skimmer and was curious if anybody who is doing this had any pictures they wouldn't mind sharing. I have a "brilliant" plumbing idea I'd like to try. Thanks in advance

Pdandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Two 40 Breeders under my 265. The right sump takes the drain from the right overflow and runs through 4 filter socks. This sump also holds my heater and one return pump that feeds the right return. This sump is connected by a run of 2" pvc in the back to the left sump.

The left sump has the skimmer section where the left overflow drains to. This sump is sectioned in half where the return pump on this side is T'd off to feed the refugium and the left return.

OP
OP
litebulb

litebulb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. I'm wondering if anyone has ever used 2 external pumps and on each pump split the suction side to add a bit of confidence against pump failure along with plumbing the two tanks together at a higher level to allow overflow with pump failure?

the_brewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LEFT

RIGHT

I just purchased 2x 20g today with the same plan you have here. My hurdle is i only have 1 overflow. Should i tee the overflow so it drains to both tanks? Or should i pump from one sump to the next?

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my two sump setup. This was done to meet the requirements of the Triton method which requires a large refugium.

The left black tub is all refugium, all drains enter here. It is connected to the 40g sump through a 2" bulkhead and pipe.

The right sump has a large skimmer section first which then flows to the return pump in the middle chamber. The right hand chamber is a 14 gallon ATO reservoir.

Still waiting on the glass so the picture shows my cardboard templates i used for plumbing. I will also elevate the refugium about an inch once its finally done, this is due to the water height i need for the skimmer section.
20171001_202703.jpg

the_brewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my two sump setup. This was done to meet the requirements of the Triton method which requires a large refugium.

The left black tub is all refugium, all drains enter here. It is connected to the 40g sump through a 2" bulkhead and pipe.

The right sump has a large skimmer section first which then flows to the return pump in the middle chamber. The right hand chamber is a 14 gallon ATO reservoir.

Still waiting on the glass so the picture shows my cardboard templates i used for plumbing. I will also elevate the refugium about an inch once its finally done, this is due to the water height i need for the skimmer section.
20171001_202703.jpg
Are you drilling into the glass to go from tub to skimmer section? Or are you elevating up and over the glass tank?

PurduePete93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4ac9f97c9c1dcfbd8d88420b92ec8a19.jpg

Two side by side sumps, one for fuge one for skimmer. Two separate returns & pumps for redundancy. Have to connect sumps to keep level balances and allow for single pump when needed.

I originally tried connecting over top of sumps with siphon, but found that risky as siphon failed from time to time. Ended up drilling to connect. Much more reliable.

Special_K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20171001_202703.jpg

What plastic container are you using? Square plastic totes tend to bend under pressure after filled with water.

Special_K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4ac9f97c9c1dcfbd8d88420b92ec8a19.jpg

Two side by side sumps, one for fuge one for skimmer. Two separate returns & pumps for redundancy. Have to connect sumps to keep level balances and allow for single pump when needed.

I originally tried connecting over top of sumps with siphon, but found that risky as siphon failed from time to time. Ended up drilling to connect. Much more reliable.

Cool setup! where did you get the grey flexible tubing and how it connects to PVC?

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you drilling into the glass to go from tub to skimmer section? Or are you elevating up and over the glass tank?

I will be drilling the glass. If I elevate there is not enough room to get the fuge light high enough. Connecting the two using a two inch bulkhead

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What plastic container are you using? Square plastic totes tend to bend under pressure after filled with water.

It is a heavy duty tub from home Depot. Much thicker than a standard storage tub. If I see signs of buldging Incan cut out the lid so it acts as a rim and support like in the tank. It's also like ten dollars so I can always just replace it over time if it gets to bulgy...if that's a word. Lol

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. I'm wondering if anyone has ever used 2 external pumps and on each pump split the suction side to add a bit of confidence against pump failure along with plumbing the two tanks together at a higher level to allow overflow with pump failure?

My preferred approach has always been to select a proven, reliable pump. I do run multiple sumps, but each overflows into the next.

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased 2x 20g today with the same plan you have here. My hurdle is i only have 1 overflow. Should i tee the overflow so it drains to both tanks? Or should i pump from one sump to the next?

Everything should be gravity fed, it should go from the tank, to one sump then some sort of bulkhead to take it to the next one. Pumping from one to another, or splitting and having two returns would be unwise.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always try to avoid unnecessary complexity (since there's a whole lot of 'necessary' complexity). Just adds to the list of things that can go wrong.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under the stand:

1e52e95ce14badc401c526805b9582c1.jpg

In the garage:
de83d8ef20bc15ee522374ab4567af86.jpg

Garage fuge drains back to the sump and is fed off the return. I even bought a chiller as I was convinced that the hot central FL summers would necessitate one but I haven't had to use it yet. Not even when we lost power!

10Seconds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you pumping it to the garage and then back to the sump?
Under the stand:

1e52e95ce14badc401c526805b9582c1.jpg

In the garage:
de83d8ef20bc15ee522374ab4567af86.jpg

Garage fuge drains back to the sump and is fed off the return. I even bought a chiller as I was convinced that the hot central FL summers would necessitate one but I haven't had to use it yet. Not even when we lost power!

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you pumping it to the garage and then back to the sump?

It's just tee'd off of the return piping. Gravity brings it back to the sump. I drilled holes through the wall, one for the feed to the sump and 2 for returns to the fuge, and then used foam to seal everything back up. Ideally, I'll get the flow to the fuge to match the requirements of the chiller and just run the feed to the fuge through it and not need an additional pump. I still need to work out all the tubing in the garage though and clean that part up.

jkapit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my dual sump setup before the tank was put into use. Two 40 gallon tank with a 2” Union connector between the sumps. Handles 1000 GPH.

F68A3E1C-F275-42A5-B159-C85A205A76A8.jpeg

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back