PLS HELP bicolor blenny rapid breathing and swimming frantically ??

rattrapdotcom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’ve had my blenny for 6 months, i’ve never seen him breathe so fast, his gills move so quick he looks like a panting dog !
I have had my tank about 7 months, most recent addition were two pajama cardinals from local fish store that are doing fine and I was assured they were quarantined before purchase..
I’ve seen some stuff about flukes and ich but I don’t know how to tell or treat ?
nothing visible on him, like what I see when I look up pics of those.
he swims around more and goes against one side of the tank (that has a mirror-ish affect I think from the looks, so maybe he’s just messing with his reflection.
But he’s panting and not eating as much as he usually does today :(
please please help !!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post white light video via YouTube and read through this post for any other information necessary.

OP
OP
rattrapdotcom

rattrapdotcom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post white light video via YouTube and read through this post for any other information necessary.

will do that thank you !!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
i’ve had my blenny for 6 months, i’ve never seen him breathe so fast, his gills move so quick he looks like a panting dog !
I have had my tank about 7 months, most recent addition were two pajama cardinals from local fish store that are doing fine and I was assured they were quarantined before purchase..
I’ve seen some stuff about flukes and ich but I don’t know how to tell or treat ?
nothing visible on him, like what I see when I look up pics of those.
he swims around more and goes against one side of the tank (that has a mirror-ish affect I think from the looks, so maybe he’s just messing with his reflection.
But he’s panting and not eating as much as he usually does today :(
please please help !!
Flukes may bve suspect and some signs are red or swollen with rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. For best assessment , please post a 20-30 second video using bright white intensity lighting

OP
OP
rattrapdotcom

rattrapdotcom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

here’s the link to the two videos (posted as one) that I just took !
my parameters are :
PH: 8
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 25 ppm (I know high but i’m abt to do a water change and had my protein skimmer paused bc of a power issue at my house)
Magnesium: 1500 ppm (also seems high but i’ve never added extra or anything ? may be the salt I use ?)
Calcium: 440 ppm
Alkalinity: 9 dKH
Salinity: 36

OP
OP
rattrapdotcom

rattrapdotcom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes may bve suspect and some signs are red or swollen with rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. For best assessment , please post a 20-30 second video using bright white intensity lighting
just posted a link to the video ! how do I treat flukes and can I do it in the DT ? he’s extremely hard to catch !

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
just posted a link to the video ! how do I treat flukes and can I do it in the DT ? he’s extremely hard to catch !
I expected more drastic behavior. While I see elevated breathing, I also see the fish is slightly on the thin side.
I assume its eating?
I saw other occupants but could not tell if they too are breathing at elevated rate?
What foods are you offering this fish?
I gave you some signs of flukes which none really jump[p out at me. As PraziPro is safe to use, you can add it but do so at 80% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi

OP
OP
rattrapdotcom

rattrapdotcom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expected more drastic behavior. While I see elevated breathing, I also see the fish is slightly on the thin side.
I assume its eating?
I saw other occupants but could not tell if they too are breathing at elevated rate?
What foods are you offering this fish?
I gave you some signs of flukes which none really jump[p out at me. As PraziPro is safe to use, you can add it but do so at 80% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi
of course he wasn’t doing it when I take videos (camera shy ?) but he was swimming about a lot and very quickly going around the whole tank. now he is swimming abt but he looks like he’s searching for something ? i’m not sure how to explain it, and seems a lil skittish when I go close instead of popping out and saying hi like usual !
I feed a mix of frozen (mysis, fish eggs, plankton, brine shrimp, etc) pellets, I offer nori but he doesn’t care for it.
none of the other fish are having symptoms as far as I can tell ?
they all seem pretty happy
I will try to prazi !! thank you so much !

OP
OP
rattrapdotcom

rattrapdotcom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
of course he wasn’t doing it when I take videos (camera shy ?) but he was swimming about a lot and very quickly going around the whole tank. now he is swimming abt but he looks like he’s searching for something ? i’m not sure how to explain it, and seems a lil skittish when I go close instead of popping out and saying hi like usual !
I feed a mix of frozen (mysis, fish eggs, plankton, brine shrimp, etc) pellets, I offer nori but he doesn’t care for it.
also he has been eating except for today, and he had a really big/long poop (sorry if tmi) that was stringy ? more than usual I guess. if that means anything ?

OP
OP
rattrapdotcom

rattrapdotcom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OKAY WAIT I just put in some new rock I got second hand from someone and they said they cleaned it thoroughly and it was ready to go, but now that i’m remembering I think I saw some white stuff on the blenny pretty late last night, I was drinking with friends so I didn’t remember until I was doing some more research on ich and something called velvet ? it kind of looked like sand and that’s what I thought it was because I shifted the rocks so much. i’m panicking a little bit now because im scared it could be velvet (some pictures look a lot like what he had on him).
Also he is swimming with the wave maker at times which i’ve never seen him do ???

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Nori, no but overall, the diet offered is good.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

here’s the link to the two videos (posted as one) that I just took !
my parameters are :
PH: 8
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 25 ppm (I know high but i’m abt to do a water change and had my protein skimmer paused bc of a power issue at my house)
Magnesium: 1500 ppm (also seems high but i’ve never added extra or anything ? may be the salt I use ?)
Calcium: 440 ppm
Alkalinity: 9 dKH
Salinity: 36

First - what is the water temperature?
Does the tank have good aeration (not just circulation, but actual bubbles in the water)?

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 44 55.0%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back