Post Dino infestation...Softies abundant...LPS / SPS won't survive..

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

Background info to know... So for the last 9 months or so I battled a Large Amphidium Cell type Dino problem in my tank. I have finally rid the tank of them dosing Silicates and raising by Phoshpates and Nitrates, which bottomed out and caused the problem. All good now. Also. part of the solution is to NOT do any water changes, or dose any additives such as amino acids, etc as the thought process is that the Dinos feed off the nutrients added in a water change (or something in the food cycle that the Dinos consume). So for 9 months no water changes, etc as noted. I did my first water change 2 weeks ago, and will start to dose trace elements as needed.

Meanwhile, during the last several months. I cannot keep an LPS or SPS corals in my tank. I have lost all the ones that were in the tank prior to the Dino problem. Anytime I add something new, it dies within a couple weeks. I assume this is because I have not done water changes or added trace elements to offset the lack of water changes. Zoas, leathers, and other softies are growing quickly, are healthy. Coraline growth is also very good. Alk / Cal is maintained by dosing and is and has been stable.

So...the question then is what is causing the issue that I cant keep LPS or SPS corals alive? Will this resolve itself as I do water changes, add trace elements, etc, essentially improving the minerals needed in the tank, OR ....do I have a disease issue or something else that I am overlooking?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no pictures? or parameters? or info on equipment? lol Very hard to solve a case with no clues. Help us out

Back