Power filter for mechanical filtration

puddleglum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I want to set up a ten gallon tank for mostly zoanthids and ricordeas. I will have a small wavemaker for circulation and put in an Xp Aqua sump-less ATO to keep the water level constant. I am thinking, could I put in a small HOB power filter on the tank for mechanical filtration for better water clarity for my viewing pleasure?

I have always liked Aquaclear filters in freshwater. I am thinking I could put in filter floss, and throw it away and replace it when I do water changes (weekly) to keep it from becoming a nitrate factory. It doesn't seem like I would need a lot of floss, so maybe I could fill 1/4 to 1/3 of the media basket and then a few chunks of live rock rubble on top to weigh it down.

Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks,
-pg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure if you want. But if its a coral only tank, do you really need mechanical filtration? You could also use it to run activated carbon, that would be a benefit, but either way I don't think a hob filter will make or break a tank. You can try with and without it and see if the results are different (I doubt they would be). Either way, good luck, sounds like it will be a neat tank.

OP
OP
puddleglum

puddleglum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure if you want. But if it’s a coral only tank, do you really need mechanical filtration? You could also use it to run activated carbon, that would be a benefit, but either way I don't think a hob filter will make or break a tank. You can try with and without it and see if the results are different (I doubt they would be). Either way, good luck, sounds like it will be a neat tank.
This will be my first reef tank. So I am still learning.

I might add a clown goby once the tank is well established, and I imagine I will be adding something to the tank for the corals, pods, inverts, etc. If the water clarity doesn’t necessitate mechanical filtration, then the Aquaclear will just be extra flow, and a place I can add mechanical or chemical filtration if needed down the line.

EricR

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the HOB is worth doing, albeit not necessary.
I like Seachem Tidal but others like Aquaclear/Fluval so whatever.

I run a 40 gallon soft coral tank with single HOB for mechanical, plus use smaller HOB for invert QT, when needed.

I think the benefits of HOB over nothing are:
- gives more surface agitation for gas exchange -- I know most discard HOBs for this but I disagree
- mine definitely filters out "gunk" that would otherwise be in the water
- easy place to run media when desired, like carbon (as someone else mentioned)

OP
OP
puddleglum

puddleglum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the HOB is worth doing, albeit not necessary.
I like Seachem Tidal but others like Aquaclear/Fluval so whatever.

I run a 40 gallon soft coral tank with single HOB for mechanical, plus use smaller HOB for invert QT, when needed.

I think the benefits of HOB over nothing are:
- gives more surface agitation for gas exchange -- I know most discard HOBs for this but I disagree
- mine definitely filters out "gunk" that would otherwise be in the water
- easy place to run media when desired, like carbon (as someone else mentioned)
The tank "real estate" cost of an HOB is low as well.

The Tidal filters look intersting. I read about some people having problems with noise with them, and some people having to modify them to get them reasonably quiet. Have you had any issues with this?

I found the aquaclears are quiet. I did have issues with them on tanks with play sand and cichlids as, sooner or later, the cichlids would spit a mouth full of sand near the input and then it was prime grind time in the motor housing.

EricR

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank "real estate" cost of an HOB is low as well.

The Tidal filters look intersting. I read about some people having problems with noise with them, and some people having to modify them to get them reasonably quiet. Have you had any issues with this?

I found the aquaclears are quiet. I did have issues with them on tanks with play sand and cichlids as, sooner or later, the cichlids would spit a mouth full of sand near the input and then it was prime grind time in the motor housing.
I have a Tidal 110 and the water falling into the tank is noisier than anything else I hear from it, normally.
*I do have a diffuser (I think it's called) that lessens the waterfall impact a bit

I rarely clean the pump, which is in tank -- this is one of the things I like about the Tidal filters -- no need to prime the HOB after even massive water change.
*this is also probably a CON for some as this means more space in the tank

If I go a LONG time (like 1 year) without cleaning the pump, gunk builds up and then I start to hear some mechanical noise so then just pull it out and clean it,,, problem solved.

OP
OP
puddleglum

puddleglum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tidal 110 and the water falling into the tank is noisier than anything else I hear from it, normally.
*I do have a diffuser (I think it's called) that lessens the waterfall impact a bit

I rarely clean the pump, which is in tank -- this is one of the things I like about the Tidal filters -- no need to prime the HOB after even massive water change.
*this is also probably a CON for some as this means more space in the tank

If I go a LONG time (like 1 year) without cleaning the pump, gunk builds up and then I start to hear some mechanical noise so then just pull it out and clean it,,, problem solved.
What are you using for media for mechanical filtration?

Thanks,
-pg

EricR

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for media for mechanical filtration?

Thanks,
-pg
Bottom to top (direction of flow), I run:
1. Blue sponge that came with it.
2. Dual density pond/aquarium filter pad (just cut from bulk roll) from Amazon.
3 (sometimes). Often a bag of ROX 0.8 carbon.
4. Bag of Seachem Matrix that came with the HOB.

No rhyme or reason,,, just seemed logical.

OP
OP
puddleglum

puddleglum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom to top (direction of flow), I run:
1. Blue sponge that came with it.
2. Dual density pond/aquarium filter pad (just cut from bulk roll) from Amazon.
3 (sometimes). Often a bag of ROX 0.8 carbon.
4. Bag of Seachem Matrix that came with the HOB.

No rhyme or reason,,, just seemed logical.
Fill that Aquaclear with biomedia and top it off with Chemipure or polyfilter et….
Cheap and 100% effective…

the filter will outlive you

Interesting. I though bio media was a problem in reef tanks and that people stayed away from it because it causes nitrate problems in a way that relying on live rock does not. This is what I have read, not saying I know it to be the case, just asking.

EricR

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I though bio media was a problem in reef tanks and that people stayed away from it because it causes nitrate problems in a way that relying on live rock does not. This is what I have read, not saying I know it to be the case, just asking.
I've heard that too -- but I've always struggled more with LOW nutrients than high (more so phosphates but nitrates a bit too).

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WOULD YOU EVER CONSIDER HAVING A FOWLR TANK? WHAT WOULD BE YOUR FIRST FISH?

• Yes!

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • No...

• I already have one!

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I did have one, but I don't anymore...

• Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back