Protein skimmer cannot be hang on aquarium

European

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I just assembled AquaMaxx ConeS HOb Hang on-Back Protein Skimmer at 3 AM! It took me almost half hour to figure it out and just to find out it cannot be hang on my aquarium as the white "handle" of protein skimmer is away too small to catch the tank rim in order to stay and screw it to it.

Has anyone had any issue like this one?

I am so disappointed to do this so late and to found it was just waste of my time.

Thanks,
Almir

It's from Marine Depot:
AquaMaxx ConeS HOB Hang-On-Back Protein Skimmer

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like its designed for rimless tanks 3/4 inch max thickness. Is your tank eurobraced??

OP
OP
European

European

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9852.JPG

OP
OP
European

European

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There we go, so I posted pictures and measurements. Any idea? I don't want to return such a nice protein skimmer which those...id*oits couldn't manage to make fit for other aquarium than just marine/reef ready.

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suppose you could always get a strip of 1/4 acrylic..and epoxy it to rim of tank.. it will just set the skimmer a little higher..

OP
OP
European

European

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suppose you could always get a strip of 1/4 acrylic..and epoxy it to rim of tank.. it will just set the skimmer a little higher..

I didn't understand this. What exactly did you mean?

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't understand this. What exactly did you mean?

The clamp will not fit rim correct? So if you take a 1/4 thick strip of acrylic. ..that will span from thumb screw to thumb screw. .. epoxy that to the back of tank rim..raise it up..so that strip is above the rim..1/2 or how ever much you need to hang skimmer..that gives you a lip to hang skimmer and tighten thumb screws.

OP
OP
European

European

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, they claim it's 1" but its 1" with whole stuff, not like space between. The space between is just 3/4" which is not good.

OP
OP
European

European

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clamp will not fit rim correct? So if you take a 1/4 thick strip of acrylic. ..that will span from thumb screw to thumb screw. .. epoxy that to the back of tank rim..raise it up..so that strip is above the rim..1/2 or how ever much you need to hang skimmer..that gives you a lip to hang skimmer and tighten thumb screws.

I think this is a good idea.

I was thinking to cut the black rim ("cover" ) and leave about 1/2" to 2/2" and then be able to hang protein skimmer on it.

Just wondering how safe is it to cut rim as I think it is there for stability of tank structure.

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a good idea.

I was thinking to cut the black rim ("cover" ) and leave about 1/2" to 2/2" and then be able to hang protein skimmer on it.

Just wondering how safe is it to cut rim as I think it is there for stability of tank structure.
Not sure I would cut black rim..

OP
OP
European

European

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I would cut black rim..

That's what I actually meant, to cut black rim and leave like 2/3" but afraid it might effect the tank structure. So confused as not many people on this forum can help with this...to recommend anything more.

Thank you for your help, buddy.

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? I might risk cutting a small area of the rim if it was under 55 gallons.

ARE YOU LOYAL TO A SPECIFIC REEFING BRAND(S)? SHARE A POSITIVE TESTIMONIAL IN THE COMMENTS!

• Yes, I am loyal to ________ when buying reefing goods!

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • No, I will buy reefing goods from any reputable brand.

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • No, I will buy reefing goods from just about anyone.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • It depends on what I'm buying!

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back