PSI question for new RO/DI unit

SaltwaterScotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a new 6 stage RO/DI unit. I was way overdue. I am filling my freshwater ATO bin now. I can't get the PSI above 45. I've read it should be at least 70, and also read that anything above 50 is fine. The unit is attached to the garden hose spigot. What is the correct range and do you think as it "breaks in" PSI will increase?
Thanks!

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no break in for an RO unit.
You are going to need a booster pump to bring up the pressure unless you can increase the house pressure.
Sometimes there is a valve that will do this.

MR294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, sounds like you could benefit from a booster pump. I was hovering around 50 psi, and I wish I had done it sooner. Efficiency and rejection noticeably improved making for faster water production and a longer lasting DI stage.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sometimes there is a valve that will do this
There is no such thing as a valve that will increase pressure.

Do you mean OP may have a prv already installed and could open it to increase pressure?

Well maybe, but...

A plumber will sometimes put a PRV on your house next to your water main to reduce pressure. Your plumber likely put a gauge and set that pressure to somewhere between 60 and 70 PSI.

If you have less than that, the prv may be failing, if that's the case have a plumber replace it. Don't just start twisting the adjustment unless you know what you are doing.

OP
OP
SaltwaterScotty

SaltwaterScotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, sounds like you could benefit from a booster pump. I was hovering around 50 psi, and I wish I had done it sooner. Efficiency and rejection noticeably improved making for faster water production and a longer lasting DI stage.
Yeah. The guy at my lfs suggested a booster too. He said it's not affecting water quality output, just wasting more. IDK if that's true or not. I've trusted his advice before. He's a marine biologist and knows more about the hobby than I do. Appreciate your reply!

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. The guy at my lfs suggested a booster too. He said it's not affecting water quality output, just wasting more. IDK if that's true or not. I've trusted his advice before. He's a marine biologist and knows more about the hobby than I do. Appreciate your reply!

Increasing pressure will improve quality and quantity. The recovery rate will stay about the same.

1724070575979.png

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a Booster Pump, make sure you get one with the Pressure Shut off Switch. Also I recommend the Locking “C” Clips to lock your Mur- Loc fittings, so they don’t come apart and flood.

Back