Question about dosing calcium with all for reef

peterat33rpm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Question about dosing calcium and AFR - I recently started dosing AFR in my 32 gallon that currently has a Duncan, a sad small zoa frag, a Xenia, a brain, GSP, and a hammer, all of which are doing fine although not growing a ton if at all. I did a water change the day I started dosing and my parameters were calcium 360, alk 7.9, mag 1320. Alk and ca are pretty stable two days in, with all initially bumped to 8.7 then down to 8.4 today. I know calcium is way low, so I just ordered a bottle of Red Sea calcium. My question is can I just dose the Red Sea calcium when I get it to get the calcium up towards maybe 400 the first day and 450 the second day, while dosing the same volume of AFR? Or should I pause the AFR. I think it will be the former but want to double check.

Any help much appreciated!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about dosing calcium and AFR - I recently started dosing AFR in my 32 gallon that currently has a Duncan, a sad small zoa frag, a Xenia, a brain, GSP, and a hammer, all of which are doing fine although not growing a ton if at all. I did a water change the day I started dosing and my parameters were calcium 360, alk 7.9, mag 1320. Alk and ca are pretty stable two days in, with all initially bumped to 8.7 then down to 8.4 today. I know calcium is way low, so I just ordered a bottle of Red Sea calcium. My question is can I just dose the Red Sea calcium when I get it to get the calcium up towards maybe 400 the first day and 450 the second day, while dosing the same volume of AFR? Or should I pause the AFR. I think it will be the former but want to double check.

Any help much appreciated!

I would not boost to 450 ppm calcium. AFR is a little heavy on calcium and there is no benefit to being over 420 ppm.

OP
OP
P

peterat33rpm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You’re welcome. Let us know how things work out!
So I dosed up to 420 over the course of 4-5 days and it’s been 410-420 the last couple times I’ve tested so I think I’m good? Today after a water change it was 410 so I just did another 5cc of calcium to bump it back up, hopefully holds steady in that range. Thanks again for the help!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I dosed up to 420 over the course of 4-5 days and it’s been 410-420 the last couple times I’ve tested so I think I’m good? Today after a water change it was 410 so I just did another 5cc of calcium to bump it back up, hopefully holds steady in that range. Thanks again for the help!

Sounds good. :)

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS IT POSSIBLE TO "MASTER" REEFING? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • No.

Votes: 99 56.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 11 6.3%
Back