Question for Long Term Harlequin Tusk Owners

BigMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a tusk after 8 weeks it just quit eating. Up to that point I was feeding in even amounts; PE Mysis, Clams and wild caught shrimp from a seafood market, krill ... sparingly. I bought another one we'll see how it goes.

I've talked several others who have had the same problem, where the fish just quit eating after about 1-1/2 years in captivity. Any recommendations on what and what not to feed and why?

frydaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with 2 separate tusks. They both ate everything and anything for about a year and then just stopped eating. They are my favorite fish but not going to try another one.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this an indo pacific tusk? I've also had poor longevity with those but not similar to what you've experienced. They simply passed without any visible issues outside (All my fish go through full quarantine)

My australian tusk has been with me since 2013 in comparison with 0 issues (an extremely greedy feeder that even eats nori)

Although this is in regards to a different species of fish, do you feed them shrimp with shell on? I've had other predatory fish in the past develop noticable intestinal problem from feeding shelled shrimp. If I had to guess, the sharp bits would cause injury that may only occur during heavy feeding (something I tend to do)

MugenReef95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had mine for about 3 years now but I do change up feedings to where it’s mysis, squid, raw store shrimp, and I do feed live invertebrates once a month or so

OP
OP
B

BigMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this an indo pacific tusk? I've also had poor longevity with those but not similar to what you've experienced. They simply passed without any visible issues outside (All my fish go through full quarantine)

My australian tusk has been with me since 2013 in comparison with 0 issues (an extremely greedy feeder that even eats nori)

Although this is in regards to a different species of fish, do you feed them shrimp with shell on? I've had other predatory fish in the past develop noticable intestinal problem from feeding shelled shrimp. If I had to guess, the sharp bits would cause injury that may only occur during heavy feeding (something I tend to do)
Thanks for the feedback! I remove the husk, or casing, prior to feeding and I will cut in in smaller pieces in the future, much like the size of a jumbo Mysis shrimp.

The tusk is an Aussie. In a post several weeks ago I mentioned the death of the fish and I took 'him' to the UofM veterinary pathology lab. They did note lesions on his liver but the autopsy was "inconclusive". Could it have been cyanide poisoning.... I don't know.

Regardless, my concern is now what it takes to achieve long term success.

frydaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of mine were Aussie tusks that went through full qt before getting to me. Both 6-7 inches in size. They ate everything and anything meaty including what was left of my cleanup crew. Then just stopped after a year.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback! I remove the husk, or casing, prior to feeding and I will cut in in smaller pieces in the future, much like the size of a jumbo Mysis shrimp.

The tusk is an Aussie. In a post several weeks ago I mentioned the death of the fish and I took 'him' to the UofM veterinary pathology lab. They did note lesions on his liver but the autopsy was "inconclusive". Could it have been cyanide poisoning.... I don't know.

Regardless, my concern is now what it takes to achieve long term success.
I don't believe lesions and cyanide are correlated (I could be very wrong there) and I'm not aware of cyanide ever being used in australia (fish would pass a lot sooner than 6+ months as well)

Is it safe to assume during the autopsy there were no signs of obstructions anywhere?

OP
OP
B

BigMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe lesions and cyanide are correlated (I could be very wrong there) and I'm not aware of cyanide ever being used in australia (fish would pass a lot sooner than 6+ months as well)

Is it safe to assume during the autopsy there were no signs of obstructions anywhere?
No obstruction signs. I too believed that if it was cyanide, it would have likely died in the first 60-90 days, but others felt it could be much longer. I'm not sure how to judge that.

Also, I don't know how widespread Aussie tusks are. Are there some coming from the southernmost regions of Indonesia? Some things I've read make me believe that cyanide use is still a bit more widespread than any of us would like to believe. I would very greatly doubt any Aussie collectors would use cyanide, but Indonesia?

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No obstruction signs. I too believed that if it was cyanide, it would have likely died in the first 60-90 days, but others felt it could be much longer. I'm not sure how to judge that.

Also, I don't know how widespread Aussie tusks are. Are there some coming from the southernmost regions of Indonesia? Some things I've read make me believe that cyanide use is still a bit more widespread than any of us would like to believe. I would very greatly doubt any Aussie collectors would use cyanide, but Indonesia?
Now that I think of it, I recall hearing about more recent blonde naso tangs from a region dying in a similar manner recently. Australian ones are usually caught via barbless hooks unless that method has changed in more recent years.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh man sorry to hear. the tusk was on the maybe list for the 200/275 i am stocking. guess i will just pass on it. would hate to spend that kind of $$ on a Aussie tusk get it through QT just to stop eating.

I do wonder how common this is?

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked with a friend who took one of my other aussie tusk (this one was purchased in 2016 and was rehomed due to being bullied near to death) it is also still doing well (~8 years now).
Iirc @OrionN has kept many harlequin tusk and may also currently still own one or more.
Perhaps he has some insight that we may be missing on this issue.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got several over the years. An Indo Tusk from around2001 to 2012. I sold the tank, remodel the house and the Tusk went to the new tank owner. 2014 I got an Indo Tusk but trade him out for an Australian Tusk fairly quickly. I keep him until Harvey hurricane. My tank crashed and I lost him. I reset up the tank with a new Australian Tusk. I lost him when the tank slow crash with Covid. I was so busy that I did not take care of my tank properly. Once I notice the crash, I could not stop it. I lost a lot of corals, clams and anemones and fishes. A lot of the nice ones too.
My current Tusk I got with @alton and @Claybird1985. I ordered 3 baby Australian Tusks that were only about 1+ inch. They were so small that I have to cut up mysis shrimp up before they can eat them. I grew them up a bit before Alton and Clayton came and pick them up. All three are doing great.
I feed my tank a great variety of food. Main food is Otohime pellets. I also so have a mixtures of various fish flakes that I feed every morning and night along with mysis. On the weekend and when I have time during the day, I feed them whatever sea food we were eating. I also often go to the seawall during low tide and get oyster and feed these to the tank (on the 1/2 shell).
For Otohine, I bought 2 kg at a time. Even if it is a dry pellets, I freeze the food in the freezer until I get about 1 cup or two into a container to use to feed the tank. The rest stay in the freezer all zipped up.
Whenever we have fish roe, I just save them for the tank also. When we buy seafood, a portion of it will be use as fish food. We only buy wild caught fish and shrimp.
So far none of my Tusk have died of old age, or lost of vision, or wasted away not eating. The one I had the longest got sold with the tank after I had him for 12 years or so. I always have a Tusk in my tank.
Killed by Harvey
IMG_0163.jpeg

Kill by Covid
IMG_7094.jpeg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one, she was a good eater. My french angelfish flipped one day and killed her before going after other fish. Rehomed the angel but sad I lost the tusk to him.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow, 11 years.

Picture pls, and how big is he now? Wonder about his growth rate.

Also, what are his tank mates?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Im
I lost a tusk after 8 weeks it just quit eating. Up to that point I was feeding in even amounts; PE Mysis, Clams and wild caught shrimp from a seafood market, krill ... sparingly. I bought another one we'll see how it goes.

I've talked several others who have had the same problem, where the fish just quit eating after about 1-1/2 years in captivity. Any recommendations on what and what not to feed and why?
well over a year and no issues. They for some reason do like high nitrates and elevated temperatures. I feed mine LRS chunky diet, scallops, frozen krill and squid

1720130910273.png

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, they don’t compete well for food with larger aggressive fish such as tangs and angels after a few years.

Fred A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was once told by my local store that ph levels dramatically affect the health of tusks. Could that be an issue?

HOW ARE YOU FIGHTING NUISANCE ALGAE RIGHT NOW?

• Clean-Up Crew

Votes: 58 81.7%
  • Algae-Eating Fish

Votes: 32 45.1%
  • Light Adjustments

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Nutrient Adjustments

Votes: 30 42.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 13 18.3%
Back