R/O system

Sea Wizard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta question for experianced reefers. Tired of purchasing r/o water and am going to buy a r/o system. Need to know do I also need the unit to produce di also? Know of a good deal on a unit w\6 stages. What should I buy?

Kaptain

King Air Driver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can take a look at www.buckeyefieldsupply.com

Very good units, fast service, and outstanding customer service. Just send them a note, and tell them what you plan on using it for, and they will set you up.

I have two of their units myself, both are 4 stage 100 gpd RO/DI units.

I don't think you need a 6 stage system, as my 4 stage ones always reduce the TDS(total dissolved solids) to zero.

Last edited:

Tomasz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, when you are going to buy the unit make sure it is RO/DI. It is not going to cost that much more, but in the long run it is well worth it. Look aroung ebay, because they all work the same.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used airwaterice a number of times (buckeyefieldsupply being the other one I've heard the most). Get RO/DI and go ahead and get the backflush kit and a float valve, too. The float valve keeps water off the floor (I used to either forget I was running water, or would incorrectly estimate how long it would fill, resulting in a lot of water on the floor over the years). If you have a spare bath tub, that'll work, too:D. If you have a choice on the DI canisters, I'd get the refillable ones. Buying bulk media is cheaper in the long run, esp if you filter as much as I do.

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something to keep a close eye on its rejection ratio. most of the cheaper ones are 5:1 or at best 4:1 meaning it dumps 5 gallons of waste to produce 1 gallon of RODI.

The new aqualife pro at 399.99 is awesome.

its only a 4 stage, but it has a ton of awesome features.

It tells you when you your filters are spent, automatically flushes your filters when it shuts off to prolong the life of all the filters.

Pressure pump to maximize effeciency...auto shut off - that actually turns off the supply line so you dont keep dumping waste water all day.

leak sensor that sounds an alarm...

if you add up all the bells and whistles it is right on track with the others.

and its

1.5:1

OP
OP
Sea Wizard

Sea Wizard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. In the last 3 days I have topped off 12 1/2 gal of ro/di water. Got to adding it up this morning and at an average of .50 a gal it's about 17.50 a week, sure don't sound like much, add it up over a year and 910.00. Crazy not to have already bought one. I don't have but one tank now. BUT wife wants to setup a small one just for her own. Yeah gflat65, your wife's tank has got my wife wanting one! She also has mentioned a propagation tank. Whew, I told her to slow down and get the 125 like she wants it to look first. I do believe that she has got the dreaded REEFER Madness Disease..... it's about time too. Really, thanks for the input. With people like yall to turn to it makes me just love this hobby!

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • My coral

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back