Random Fish Death

PeterC2904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon tank stocked with a snowflake clown, cherub Pygmy angel, yellow watchman and candy cane pistol shrimp as a fire shrimp. My fire fish goby randomly died today and I noticed he had nips in his tail fin. I’ve never seen anyone in the tank show any sort of aggression so I’m just confused as to why or how my fire fish even died.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. It's really hard to say what the cause could be. Sometimes fish just die unexpectedly while in our care. It's possible the fin damage could have been postmortem if you never notice aggresion or fin damage prior to death. Sometimes we have no idea how old fish are, how they were captured etc. I'm sure there is a cause of death but very often it's difficult or impossible for us as hobbiest to determine that cause.
I lost my hippo tang recently after having it for over 5 years. I noticed it didn't come out for the morning feeding and found it dead in the rocks. All other inhabitants are fine. It happens.

OP
OP
P

PeterC2904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. It's really hard to say what the cause could be. Sometimes fish just die unexpectedly while in our care. It's possible the fin damage could have been postmortem if you never notice aggresion or fin damage prior to death. Sometimes we have no idea how old fish are, how they were captured etc. I'm sure there is a cause of death but very often it's difficult or impossible for us as hobbiest to determine that cause.
I lost my hippo tang recently after having it for over 5 years. I noticed it didn't come out for the morning feeding and found it dead in the rocks. All other inhabitants are fine. It happens.
Ya I mean I’ve had random deaths before but I was always able to figure out why they happened this one just felt the most random for me so that’s why I was looking for answers. Thank you for the reply though!

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I mean I’ve had random deaths before but I was always able to figure out why they happened this one just felt the most random for me so that’s why I was looking for answers. Thank you for the reply though!
I've had a few fish I've kept well over a year just die overnight with no explanation. Some just disappear never to be seen again. Maybe I'm just too accepting but if I see a fish acting normal and eating and it's dead in the morning I just accept it. Hopefully someone more experienced and maybe not willing to accept the deaths like I do will chime in.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to guess myocardial infarction or stroke. I find no other explanation plausible for a big healthy fat dominant fish that is great one day, and dead the next. It happens.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to guess myocardial infarction or stroke. I find no other explanation plausible for a big healthy fat dominant fish that is great one day, and dead the next. It happens.
Just like people. Both of my grandfather's went to bed one night and died in they're sleep in their own bed. I hope to go the same way when it's my time.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 33 42.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back