Really high nitrates, and I need help

ZachariahBeanz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I’ve had a couple of posts about similar things before, like a white algae looking thing in my tank, and my nitrates being high. However that was a couple of weeks ago and nothing had really changed. For background, I have a 20g AIO with three fish, no light, or CUC. My tank has been set up this way for a couple of months, and I do a 10% weekly water change. I tested for nitrates and they were quite high, above 50ppm. My pH is a bit low, it’s currently at 7.8-8.0. Everything else is within normal ranges. My only thought to these high nitrates would be my feeding. I didn’t really think of my feeding as a problem until I was feeding my fish one night. I only feed the fish once a day with frozen mysis shrimp. I use an entire of those frozen cubes, and I thought that there was no way my fish eat all of this, so I decided to cut one of the little cubes in half and feed one of those each day (I made that change yesterday).

IMG_5730.jpeg

This is also the algae(?) I was talking about, it doesn’t show up the best on camera but it’s looks similar to algae just with no pigment, and it’s on a lot of my rock work, and some of my glass.
Sorry for the long post, but if you have any idea how to help, or any suggestions, I would be very grateful

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning to add corals? Once you get a light and a few corals then they will help lower nitrates. Bump to 20% weekly water change also.

feelingfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks so new but it may be Chrysophytes. I’m not 100% just throwing it out there.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I’ve had a couple of posts about similar things before, like a white algae looking thing in my tank, and my nitrates being high. However that was a couple of weeks ago and nothing had really changed. For background, I have a 20g AIO with three fish, no light, or CUC. My tank has been set up this way for a couple of months, and I do a 10% weekly water change. I tested for nitrates and they were quite high, above 50ppm. My pH is a bit low, it’s currently at 7.8-8.0. Everything else is within normal ranges. My only thought to these high nitrates would be my feeding. I didn’t really think of my feeding as a problem until I was feeding my fish one night. I only feed the fish once a day with frozen mysis shrimp. I use an entire of those frozen cubes, and I thought that there was no way my fish eat all of this, so I decided to cut one of the little cubes in half and feed one of those each day (I made that change yesterday).

IMG_5730.jpeg

This is also the algae(?) I was talking about, it doesn’t show up the best on camera but it’s looks similar to algae just with no pigment, and it’s on a lot of my rock work, and some of my glass.
Sorry for the long post, but if you have any idea how to help, or any suggestions, I would be very grateful
Also, just so you know, you will have a variety of ugly phases in the tank throughout most of the first year so expect various algae to come and go.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An entire cube of mysis - even a half cube - for only 3 fish is a waste, they can only eat 4-5-6-7 pieces each, all the rest will rot in the water.

To give you an idea, I feed a half cube to my 3 tanks with total 18 fish. half a cube feeds all that, and I usually still throw a little away.

Thaw a small piece of cube in a glass, then use a turkey baster to add just a few pieces of shrimp. If they eat it all, then add a few more.

I think your problem is heavy overfeeding and under filtering.

OP
OP
ZachariahBeanz

ZachariahBeanz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An entire cube of mysis - even a half cube - for only 3 fish is a waste, they can only eat 4-5-6-7 pieces each, all the rest will rot in the water.

To give you an idea, I feed a half cube to my 3 tanks with total 18 fish. half a cube feeds all that, and I usually still throw a little away.

Thaw a small piece of cube in a glass, then use a turkey baster to add just a few pieces of shrimp. If they eat it all, then add a few more.

I think your problem is heavy overfeeding and under filtering.
Thanks, I had no idea how much I was over feeding with the cube, I can probably cut the cubes into fourths, but it would get harder to go smaller than that. Would that be a good enough size?

OP
OP
ZachariahBeanz

ZachariahBeanz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, just so you know, you will have a variety of ugly phases in the tank throughout most of the first year so expect various algae to come and go.
Yeah, I was expecting a large amount of algae to start appearing once I put on my light and stuff, but didn’t quite expect it without one.

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
your tank looks pretty far from disaster and btw who said high nitrates causes problems …
Yes I’ve parroted this but in three decades I’ve yet to see any study proving it
btw on a hypocritical note, I have high nitrates and I’m trying Tropic Marin’s line of stuff and it’s working:
Reef Actif, NP Bacto pellets and NP minus

OP
OP
ZachariahBeanz

ZachariahBeanz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your tank looks pretty far from disaster and btw who said high nitrates causes problems …
Yes I’ve parroted this but in three decades I’ve yet to see any study proving it
btw on a hypocritical note, I have high nitrates and I’m trying Tropic Marin’s line of stuff and it’s working:
Reef Actic, NP Bacto pellets and NP minus
I think my tank looks fine currently, and for the nitrates, I just wanted to get them down to normal since I’m new to this. And I didn’t want to have very high nitrates when adding corks incase it stresses them. Also, what’s the Tropic Marins stuff?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Actif, NP Bacto pellets and NP minus
Nitrates aren't harmful in reef aquaria unless extremely elevated for an extended period of time. The OP 50 nitrates is nothing to worry about and easy to remedy with increased percentage of water change. My tank runs elevated nitrates and that's where I want it to.

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also, what’s the Tropic Marins stuff?
yeah I’m cleaning this tank up before a large purchase also… just in case and why not
I’m not endorsing it per se but thought I’d try it. So much snake oil floating around but the price/ risk was low, and the products promise and premise seemed reasonable.
Reef Actif
NP Biopellets
Elimi NP

again just saying since implementing 1 week ago my nitrates dropped by 10 - 20 ppm in both tanks from “out of range” - 79ppm
the other tank 95 - 75 ppm during the same period
this data set is early

OP
OP
ZachariahBeanz

ZachariahBeanz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates aren't harmful in reef aquaria unless extremely elevated for an extended period of time. The OP 50 nitrates is nothing to worry about and easy to remedy with increased percentage of water change. My tank runs elevated nitrates and that's where I want it to.
Yeah, I’m not too worried about the elevated levels since I only have fish. But I’m also trying to find the root cause, because it seems that my levels are just going to keep increasing.

jhadaway117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I had no idea how much I was over feeding with the cube, I can probably cut the cubes into fourths, but it would get harder to go smaller than that. Would that be a good enough size?
I have 4 fish in my 35 gallon and 2 in my 13.5. One cube last me 4-5 days. Place the cube in a little Tupperware cup and thaw it out with tank water. Put a lid on it and stick it in the fridge! I only feed a small portion twice a day to each tank.

OP
OP
ZachariahBeanz

ZachariahBeanz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 fish in my 35 gallon and 2 in my 13.5. One cube last me 4-5 days. Place the cube in a little Tupperware cup and thaw it out with tank water. Put a lid on it and stick it in the fridge! I only feed a small portion twice a day to each tank.
Thanks for the info. Oh, also, I have a fish that doesn’t really like to be out in the tank when I’m near it. So, how do I issue that it gets fed too?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOUR KIDS ENJOY YOUR AQUARIUM(S)? SHARE A FAVORITE MEMORY OF YOUR LITTLE ONE(S) WITH YOUR TANK!

• Yes, they love it!

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • They're not super interested...

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Not yet, they're too young to understand.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I'm not a parent, but if I become one I hope they'll enjoy it!

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 5 11.6%
Back