Recent baby shoot C&C please

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently took a few baby pictures, and would like a Critique on them! I'll point out some of the things I think I need to correct about each picture, then you can help from there as well!

#1) In this image, I belive that there is to much magenta in the skin, Im not sure what caused this, I did increase the saturation on the picture, but not enough to cause that much. The only thing I could think of is the natural redness of the skin became very noticable when I increased the saturation. To correct this, I put it into Cs5 and pulled back on the color scale the magenta. Aside from that, what else do you see wrong with this picture?

tennisstout195.jpg

#2) In this image, I dont feel that there is to much wrong. I don't like the shadows under the chin of the baby, but I guess that it may add deminsion to the face? I also noticed while editing, there are 2 (Two) leye catches (where the light catches on the eyes) and that can be distracting. Should I remove one since naturally there would only be one source (the sun)?

tennisstout194.jpg

#3) Same thing with this image as above. However, there is somthing that REALLY bothers me about this image, I'm not sure if anyone else notices it, but if you do, should I fix it?

tennisstout181.jpg

Those are all that I will post at this point, give me your advice and let me know what you think!

Thanks-
Austin

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honestly I think one is way over processed the baby's skin looks like rubber. Clean smooth skin is fine but for a baby thats way over done in my opinion. Two is good still a little over the top for me. Third is by far my favorite. Yes, fix it I notice it, you notice it and a parent will not notice it in 3 months then she will be ****** and ask for you to fix it. Its a simple fixe why not fix it? Lastly there is some digital dust you should fix on the skin as well it looks.

OP
OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honestly I think one is way over processed the baby's skin looks like rubber. Clean smooth skin is fine but for a baby thats way over done in my opinion. Two is good still a little over the top for me. Third is by far my favorite. Yes, fix it I notice it, you notice it and a parent will not notice it in 3 months then she will be ****** and ask for you to fix it. Its a simple fixe why not fix it? Lastly there is some digital dust you should fix on the skin as well it looks.

I agree, I did over process that one a bit, I did go back and I redid it, I also pulled back on the skin softening a TON when I did it over again.

And ok, I can go back in a fix it, how would you fix the bats in the cave in image #2? Spot removal?

And this may be a stupid question, but what is digital dust? Are you referring to dust that could build up on the scensor or what? I've never heard of that term.

Thank you!

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope image editing is, ok. Digital dust is dust on the sensor like you said. If you are a canon card holder just send it back depending what lvl you are a cleaning might be free.

White is where I would burn in a tad to make a clear distinction between fur and body. Black which wont be that visable because its circled in black is where dust is. Look at your OG image and youll see it.

tennisstout181 by matsinger2, on Flickr

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#3 could use some spot treating and the double spotlight reflection on the eyes are really detracting. What type of lighting are you using? Maybe try shooting through a soft box or umbrella.

OP
OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope image editing is, ok. Digital dust is dust on the sensor like you said. If you are a canon card holder just send it back depending what lvl you are a cleaning might be free.

White is where I would burn in a tad to make a clear distinction between fur and body. Black which wont be that visable because its circled in black is where dust is. Look at your OG image and youll see it.

I do see it, I will get it cleaned as soon as I possibly can, I dont need that stuff on my images, I can't belive I didnt notice it till now. Thank you for pointing it out to me!

OP
OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#3 could use some spot treating and the double spotlight reflection on the eyes are really detracting. What type of lighting are you using? Maybe try shooting through a soft box or umbrella.

I used alien bee's on this shoot, and I did shoot through two umbrellas...I have pictures of the set up somewhere.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea Forgot I did a crappy fix on the eyes. I would do something like this. Although My PP would be alot diff then what you did...

OP
OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like that a lot better! Next time I do a baby shoot, I will be sure to fix these little things that matter! Thanks!

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean the digital dust should be on every picture it is on your sen. The eyes if the lighting is on and you still get it I would just fix it like I did. Sorry for all the pictures Im editing my crap right now too so I am kinda in edite mode.

OP
OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean the digital dust should be on every picture it is on your sen. The eyes if the lighting is on and you still get it I would just fix it like I did. Sorry for all the pictures Im editing my crap right now too so I am kinda in edite mode.

Yeah, Ill be sure to get the sen. cleaned for sure!

And yeah, did you just lower the exposure levels of the highlights, or spot heal them out?

and lol, its ok!

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went in and cloned it in and then went in with a gray and black sample to fine tune it so things looked right.

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • My coral

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back