Red Sea DC Skimmer Users

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any feedback on the Red Sea DC skimmer? The 300 series, to be exact. I'm having issues getting a good skimmate with mine as most bubbles coming to the collection cup are super small, and the skimmate will not foam up. I set the water level to just under the red band below the collection cup. My pump output is set at 59%. Why 59%? Not sure, just seemed like a good number :cool:
Just curious if anyone has any tips to tune the skimmer, or if the Red Sea DC skimmers are just not that great and I should be looking into a new skimmer.

I feed about 2 spoons TOTAL of BRS Reef Chili, Reef Blizzard and Reef Roids, along with a relatively small amount of frozen mysis. I dose live-phyto daily (about 5ml per evening). I only have 3 fish in my 48gal system. Is my bio-load not big enough to get a good skimmate? I've been out of the hobby for 13ish years, and things have changed. I'm trying to catch up with the times :D

Thanks for the feedback!

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may not have enough waste for a thick foamy skimmate yet, but let’s make sure it is tuned right as well. Do you have a photo or 2 of the setup? I’d like to see the water level and inside the skimmer from the top showing the foam if you can snap some.

Lots of people use these skimmers successfully and I haven’t heard any major issues, so I’m sure we can get it working.

OP
OP
Sdoutreefer

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may not have enough waste for a thick foamy skimmate yet, but let’s make sure it is tuned right as well. Do you have a photo or 2 of the setup? I’d like to see the water level and inside the skimmer from the top showing the foam if you can snap some.

Lots of people use these skimmers successfully and I haven’t heard any major issues, so I’m sure we can get it working.
That's kind of what I was thinking. May not have that bio-load yet to create the good skimmate.

I'll snap a picture when I get home but water level is where it should be. The Red Sea skimmers have a sticker on the water level adjustment rod. Water level is right in the middle of that sticker.

Pictures to come.

OP
OP
Sdoutreefer

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I came home to after work.

Attachments

• IMG_2774.jpeg
    IMG_2774.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2773.jpeg
    IMG_2773.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 11

Uberlastung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read your threat and you currently have only three small fishes in the tank. That's definitely not enough to make skimmer deliver proper skimmate. Right now it outputs the coral food mostly.

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm having issues getting a good skimmate with mine as most bubbles coming to the collection cup are super small, and the skimmate will not foam up.
I own 2ea 300’s and that monster 900 or whatever
I have the same issue on one tank….but for now I can’t argue with the previous post. Just might not have enough bioload

OP
OP
Sdoutreefer

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read your threat and you currently have only three small fishes in the tank. That's definitely not enough to make skimmer deliver proper skimmate. Right now it outputs the coral food mostly.
Thanks for the input! That's what I was thinking. I'll see what it does after I get it fully stocked. I will say that it produced a decent skimmate this weekend. I thought maybe it just needed a really long break-in period

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back