Reefbot Lab Upgrade Kit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
I received an upgrade kit for my Reefbot Lab, and while I wasn’t sure what to expect as far as the color sensor upgrade, let’s just say I was presently surprised. Process will take about 30 minutes to an hour depending on your abilities. The kit comes with a switch to add the ability to turn of the ring of lights. This is really nice if your Bot is in the open as it can light up a room. Mine is in my stand so I did not install it at this time. Second item is a new stirrer head which is taller and has stronger magnets. The third thing is the new color sensor. For the most part it looks the same from the outside, but the sensor is different for sure. There are no visible part numbers to search for a data sheet, but from what Hady explained to me the new sensor features;

•Higher resolution

•Shorter test chamber

•The color sensor now covers from the bottom to the middle of the chamber. It allows it to interpolate the color shade and helps with test that use less water samples, like potassium & iron.

The install was pretty straightforward, I did make some instructions on how to complete the upgrade. I will post them and will also be giving them to RK to use/tweak as they see fit. While going through the upgrade, I made some notes and provided Hady the feedback. The big things I noted was there were no zip-ties to replace the ones that need to be cut and removed. Luckily, i tinker enough and had some. Also, I’m not sure if an adhesive was used to secure the tubes to my original test chamber or it just fused itself over time, but the tubing broke when trying to remove it. I had enough slack as not to be an issue, but passed both issues on to Hady. He instantly agreed, and said replacement tubing (drain and fill) and zip ties will be provided in future kits.
Now for what most people will want to know. Does the new color sensor make a difference. In my experience I saw a big improvement. Prior to the upgrade I had the Bot run a Cal, Mag, Alk, Nitrate, P04 tests. Post upgrade I had it run them all again. I also did manual test using the reagents from the Bot. The pre-upgrade vs manual were within a couple points of each. API Calcium has always been about 3 points low for me, even after the daily stirring. The upgrade vs manual were 100% spot on for 4 of the 5 test, to include the Cal. The one test that off, it was either P04 or Alk, and was only 1 point difference. This could have been color interpretation on my part as the color reference chart in the app was spot on with the end color and interpretation. The test chamber also comes with a shim that will cause it to lean and help with draining.

So for those, like me, that have the pre-V6 bots, this is worth looking into, especially if your test are off a little and you want better accuracy. Those who have or will buy V6, or later, then these will already have these installed.

With the shorter test chamber and with the sensor going from middle to bottom, maybe this will lead to “V6+” test where the test sample and reagents used are reduced. Not sure, but could possibly be something implemented at a later date.

The attached instructions are a draft. Also, there may be some variances between different models, but should be similar for the most part. Let me know of any typos or things that might need better explanation.

Attachments

• Reefbot Lab Upgrade DRAFT-compressed.pdf
    484.5 KB · Views: 13

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your detailed review and instructions! We trust that many users will find this helpful. Your continuous support is highly appreciated

HAVE YOU EVER EXPERIENCED A TANK EMERGENCY? SHARE YOUR STORY IN THE COMMENTS!

• Unfortunately, yes.

Votes: 47 65.3%
  • Thankfully, no.

Votes: 22 30.6%
  • Other (pleas explain).

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back