Removing glass rim from 75 gallon

LunaSky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a new 75 gallon, bought second hand from a new LFS wich opened just this month. I cleaned the tank and tried to set it up but the rim is too wide for anything to be attached. I have Eshopp overflow box and two lights which I need to put onto this tank's rim. Would it be safe for me to remove the two back sections of the glass rims.

20240914_105620.jpg 20240914_110014.jpg 20240914_110018.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, just out of curiosity, how can other tanks be rimless and not this one? I don't want to take off the entire rim mind you, but just curious how that works
It depends on how its built. If its rimless it has other supports to keep it together. If it has a rim thats the support

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rimless tanks have thicker glass to prevent bowing
That is absolutely correct. You're idea will end up badly I fear. Having it drilled and using a sump will deal with the issue nicely. Just make sure you ain't drilling through tempered glass.

OP
OP
L

LunaSky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rimless tanks have thicker glass to prevent bowing
The glass is 10mm thick. All of my research says for my tanks size, 9mm is minimum for a rimless. Also, I'm only talking about the two back parts of the rim... there will still be bracing. It was a homemade aquarium.

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The glass is 10mm thick. All of my research says for my tanks size, 9mm is minimum for a rimless. Also, I'm only talking about the two back parts of the rim... there will still be bracing. It was a homemade aquarium.
You don't have to convince me. If you are comfortable with the risk, then that's your decision. I don't build or repair tanks, as I have seen too many fail. So, I am unable to help with any technical tank building questions.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to convince me. If you are comfortable with the risk, then that's your decision. I don't build or repair tanks, as I have seen too many fail. So, I am unable to help with any technical tank building questions.
Same. I won't mess with 'em. Don't have the proper skill set.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, just out of curiosity, how can other tanks be rimless and not this one? I don't want to take off the entire rim mind you, but just curious how that works
First don’t remove that middle piece that is needed 100% - Rimless tanks need a rubber grip mat under the entire length of the tank to keep the glass from bowing when water is in it. If you do decide to remove the piece make sure you add that mat under it. And I would add extra sealing as well

buzzfin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely would not remove it. Not worth taking the chance. The rimless look is cool, but would make me nervous if I had one. I would check to see if it's tempered glass and, if not, drill it. It's actually quite easy to do.

OP
OP
L

LunaSky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First don’t remove that middle piece that is needed 100% - Rimless tanks need a rubber grip mat under the entire length of the tank to keep the glass from bowing when water is in it. If you do decide to remove the piece make sure you add that mat under it. And I would add extra sealing as well

It wouldn't be the middle part or the front or sides. The back two pieces are siliconed only on the back glass. The side rims hold the corners together. There is a glued on rubber grip on the bottom already. Does that count? I'm not 100% sure of I'm going to take the back pieces off. But the glass is also super thick and I don't trust myself to drill it to add a sump. However, I figured out a way to hang the lights. It looks really bad, but oh well. The only issue now is the overflow box. But I think I have an idea for it. It would look better to take the back pieces off... but I think I'm too scared to do that.

Attachments

• 20240916_221051.jpg
    20240916_221051.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240916_221057.jpg
    20240916_221057.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
L

LunaSky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely would not remove it. Not worth taking the chance. The rimless look is cool, but would make me nervous if I had one. I would check to see if it's tempered glass and, if not, drill it. It's actually quite easy to do.
Pretty sure it's not tempered, but I'm not glass expert

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep asking, somebody will eventually tell you what you want to hear, so why wait around for approval? Just cut it off now.

OP
OP
L

LunaSky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep asking, somebody will eventually tell you what you want to hear, so why wait around for approval? Just cut it off now.

I figured people were thinking I was removing the WHOLE rim, when I'm not. I was just making my whole situation clear. Sorry that bothered you so much.

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 33 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back