Replacing 3/4 return with 1 or 1 1/4 inch

reely989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I got a 300 gallon planet aquarium mega matrix tank and it's plumbed for 3/4 return. Should have been something I thought about, but obviously didn't at the time. I'm currently running 2 sicce adv 5.5 for returns and they seem fine. I would like some DC pumps to be able to hook up to my kraken, however. I'm looking at getting a couple of varios 6 pumps. While I'm making this change I had thought about bypassing the internal returns completely and going with 1" or 1 1/4" return lines up the back of my tank and elbowed over into the display. Has anyone else done this? Am I trying too hard to solve a problem I don't really have by doing this?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I got a 300 gallon planet aquarium mega matrix tank and it's plumbed for 3/4 return. Should have been something I thought about, but obviously didn't at the time. I'm currently running 2 sicce adv 5.5 for returns and they seem fine. I would like some DC pumps to be able to hook up to my kraken, however. I'm looking at getting a couple of varios 6 pumps. While I'm making this change I had thought about bypassing the internal returns completely and going with 1" or 1 1/4" return lines up the back of my tank and elbowed over into the display. Has anyone else done this? Am I trying too hard to solve a problem I don't really have by doing this?
This idea would fit well with two Seaswirls to replace those useless elbows and create an interesting current flow in the tank.

OP
OP
R

reely989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This idea would fit well with two Seaswirls to replace those useless elbows and create an interesting current flow in the tank.

This is interesting. Do you have any experience with these? I'm not opposed, but that turns an already expensive change into a really expensive change, ha. I have 4 Nero 7s for flow inside the tank, so the return rate is more for turnover than actual current.

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 36 38.3%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back