"Seasoning" frag plugs with bacteria before use?

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Has there ever been an experiment done where new "sterile" frag plugs were soaked in a product like MicroBacter7 or a similar product to determine if it decreases algae growth on the plugs, and were the results recorded to ascertain any benefits?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has there ever been an experiment done where new "sterile" frag plugs were soaked in a product like MicroBacter7 or a similar product to determine if it decreases algae growth on the plugs, and were the results recorded to ascertain any benefits?

I’ve not seen any, but it’s a fine idea and I’d use something like PNS substrate sauce.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doh

bill hudson ghostbusters GIF

OP
OP
Jamie814

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wouldn't tossing them in the sump do pretty much the same thing
I'm not sure, there have been discussions on R2R and other forums where tests were conducted, showing no significant difference in algae growth between seasoned plugs stored in the sump for a few weeks first and new plugs when then subject to reef lighting. Both experienced similar levels of nuisance algae development.

The idea is that the right strains of bacteria, if present in sufficient numbers, might outcompete algae for space on the plug's surface. This is akin to the difference between adding aged live rock versus dry rock to an established aquarium—the latter can lead to unsightly growths rather quickly.

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
To “season the plug” to avoid algae it would need to be exposed to lighting also. Take a small magnetic mushroom basket and keep some plugs in there.

It’s not just bacteria but also an invisible biofilm that needs to develop and you need light for that. I don’t feel a sump will do the desired effect.

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The idea is that the right strains of bacteria, if present in sufficient numbers, might outcompete algae for space on the plug's surface.
…the idea of a pre seeding a frag plug with microbes seems credible, but my observations lean towards coralline algae being pretty good at displacing nuisance algae (and as a good base for encrusting) … just my opinion but that would seem to be a better frag plug prep (vs bacteria which would be present very shortly anyhooo)

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Indeed, coralline algae is beneficial, but it is too slow initially to prevent nuisance algae on new surfaces. However, once it covers a surface, it does help deter it.
Very slow….
Yeah I was thinking that as long as you are tossing them in the sump/tank somewhere, then forgetting… perhaps time isn’t a factor….

smacrophylia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To get the results you desire you need a layer of periphyton to grow which needs current, bacteria, and lighting
Do you think a neptune gro light is gonna bring enough heat to accomplish the mission if I have a solid layer of tiles as a base floor of the refugium? Not a lot of current down there but….

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure, there have been discussions on R2R and other forums where tests were conducted, showing no significant difference in algae growth between seasoned plugs stored in the sump for a few weeks first and new plugs when then subject to reef lighting. Both experienced similar levels of nuisance algae development.

The idea is that the right strains of bacteria, if present in sufficient numbers, might outcompete algae for space on the plug's surface. This is akin to the difference between adding aged live rock versus dry rock to an established aquarium—the latter can lead to unsightly growths rather quickly.

I wouldn’t think a few weeks would be long enough, just like if you want well established live rock, it’s going to take more than a few weeks in saltwater to get there from new dry rock.

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I dunno. I just take a magnetic shroom basket and toss a few plugs loose in it. They are ready In about 2 weeks

Might take longer if the lighting is less powerful than display lights

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of sounds like op is looking for a quick fix. Pour some stuff on the plugs for them to stay clean in a tank of uglies. (I might be wrong). I leave rock fragments in the sys. Then pick one, mount frag and that's it. Within days there is coraline spreading, it stays clean and no algea issue. Then again, algea is not dominant in my sys and I have a cuc...

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW ARE YOUR CORALS DOING TODAY? HONEST ANSWERS ONLY!

• Everything seems to be doing great!

Votes: 41 20.7%
  • Almost everything is doing good!

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Some are doing good, others not so much...

Votes: 49 24.7%
  • They're okay, I guess.

Votes: 20 10.1%
  • They're not doing too well right now.

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Not good at all...

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 7 3.5%
Back