Should I do a water change before adding prazipro?

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my fish isn’t looking to good and I need to add some prazi pro quickly and I’m just curious if I have to do a water change or anything like that before adding it because I’ve never used this before and my nitrates are kind of high at somewhere between 40-80ppm

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
One of my fish isn’t looking to good and I need to add some prazi pro quickly and I’m just curious if I have to do a water change or anything like that before adding it because I’ve never used this before and my nitrates are kind of high at somewhere between 40-80ppm
Change water for nitrate reduction and why are you adding Prazi?
What are actual symptoms and behaviors?
Are fish breathing normal or labored?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to change the water to add prazi? because I kind of need to and the prazi urgently. Also It’s not breathing heavy or anything it’s just kind of staying close to the bottom and not eating. It hasn’t been eating for a while now and it’s just been staying in its cave. Im pretty sure it’s flukes because I’ve seen my other fish scraping on the ground and rocks all the time.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Also will the high nitrates effect the effectiveness of the prazi pro?
High nitrates no, but prazi will reduce oxygen and appetite. Assuming its flukes, to be safe , dose at 85% of recommended amount and apply initial dosage known as an interval lasting 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High nitrates no, but prazi will reduce oxygen and appetite. Assuming its flukes, to be safe , dose at 85% of recommended amount and apply initial dosage known as an interval lasting 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi
So since my tank is 55 gallon how much should I put right now?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also should I up the dosage to 100% after a day or do I keep it at 85% dosage for the whole two weeks?
Nitrate levels don’t affect prazi. I’ve had reports that nitrate levels have gone down for some people because the solvent in Prazipro acts like carbon dosing.

The 85% dose is to compensate for the expected tank volume being less due to displacement be rocks, etc.

You should change 25% of the water prior to a second dose at 8 days.

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would agree with the nitrate issue I would try to lower the nitrate. More important - why are you wanting to start prazipro>

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I would agree with the nitrate issue I would try to lower the nitrate. More important - why are you wanting to start prazipro>
post #4 above , this was asked:

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
post #4 above , this was asked:

Sorry you lost me.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate levels don’t affect prazi. I’ve had reports that nitrate levels have gone down for some people because the solvent in Prazipro acts like carbon dosing.

The 85% dose is to compensate for the expected tank volume being less due to displacement be rocks, etc.

You should change 25% of the water prior to a second dose at 8 days.
Do I do 12ml again for the second dose after I do at water change?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I do 12ml again for the second dose after I do at water change?

Your second dose should be the same as the first (assuming it was calculated accurately) it is done after the 25% water change. You can use the package instructions for the dose, just don't use their timing (I think they say repeat after 3 days? That's too soon).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your second dose should be the same as the first (assuming it was calculated accurately) it is done after the 25% water change. You can use the package instructions for the dose, just don't use their timing (I think they say repeat after 3 days? That's too soon).
I’m only able to do a 20% water change because that all my bucket can hold, is that okay?

Upvote 0
Back