Should i get a Tunze or Gyre powerhead?

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm upgrading my powerheads for my tank, and I'm deciding between either the Tunze controllable powerheads (6095 or 6055) or the Icecap gyres (2k). On one side, Tunze powerheads are very reliable and pack in more flow than advertised. On the other side, the gyres will integrate more nicely with Hydros controllers, I will have more options for flow patterns, and they will be cheaper since one WaveEngine can control two pumps. I have heard that Gyres are more of a hassle to clean and need to be done so more often--is this true in your guys' experience? Which one would be the better pick?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 x 2k icecap gyres also used with my hydros. I’m very happy with them, had them about 2 years now. I clean mine once or twice a year. I just let them run in a bucket of citric acid water for a night and then there good as new again.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had gyres and have tunze now. I didn't like cleaning them but also found the little bushings tend to need replacement, they are cheap. Just annoying. I would pick up some extra if you buy the gyres. Tunze just works so that is why I have them now :)

That being said, I would consider them again just because I can hide the cord on the gyres so easy on my new tank since it has a eurobrace and a hood and seen people attach them to the upper brace before. If I want a powerhead on the side that is. Slap my Tunze's on the back.

I don't have hydros so can't comment on that.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can only pass on what i have read on the issue, as I've not owned either. When my 197g goes up I've already planned on 3x Gyres to go in. And two Syncra returns. The gyres give great variations in terms of where and what to point them at. But I've also heard of repairs issued with more frequency than something of a more simple design.

Back