Signs of uronema in QT tank for velvet

mandarin_toto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t catch a break yall.

The inhabitants of my 150 gal reef tank have all been in QT with copper power for velvet since July 4. Lost an bellus angel, engineer goby, annd two anthias before I figured out what it was and pulled the tank apart. Everyone is doing well now and I haven’t had any more losses, until today I noticed that my three chromis are all showing red lesions that are very similar looking to uronema. Theyre the only dish physically effected so far thank god, so I separated them out.

I know it’s probably too late to save them, but I want to make sure I can clear out any uronema in the main QT so that I do not risk my other fish (including multiple tangs, marine betta, etc) succumbing. I read to dose metroplex and also soak food for 14 days.

Also read that formalin is the foremost treatment option, like it is for most things. I have some on the way arriving Wednesday.

For my fish currently in copper power QT, would it be considered excessive and unnecessary to give them formalin dips when I do water changes in addition to dosing metroplex? Or is it a good measure to take? They haven’t fully adapted to QT yet and are getting back to normal but still a little stressed, especially my blue tang that pretends she’s dead every time I enter the room. Formalin can be harsh but I also want to give them the best chance.

Also, assuming that uronema is in my display tank, what are the steps I should take before introducing my fish back at the end of my fallow period for velvet? I know that there is no fallow period for uronema so what is to be done? It’s a full mixed reef tank with coral and inverts.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

The inhabitants of my 150 gal reef tank have all been in QT with copper power for velvet since July 4. Lost an bellus angel, engineer goby, annd two anthias before I figured out what it was and pulled the tank apart. Everyone is doing well now and I haven’t had any more losses, until today I noticed that my three chromis are all showing red lesions that are very similar looking to uronema. Theyre the only dish physically effected so far thank god, so I separated them out.

I know it’s probably too late to save them, but I want to make sure I can clear out any uronema in the main QT so that I do not risk my other fish (including multiple tangs, marine betta, etc) succumbing. I read to dose metroplex and also soak food for 14 days.

Also read that formalin is the foremost treatment option, like it is for most things. I have some on the way arriving Wednesday.

For my fish currently in copper power QT, would it be considered excessive and unnecessary to give them formalin dips when I do water changes in addition to dosing metroplex? Or is it a good measure to take? They haven’t fully adapted to QT yet and are getting back to normal but still a little stressed, especially my blue tang that pretends she’s dead every time I enter the room. Formalin can be harsh but I also want to give them the best chance.

Also, assuming that uronema is in my display tank, what are the steps I should take before introducing my fish back at the end of my fallow period for velvet? I know that there is no fallow period for uronema so what is to be done? It’s a full mixed reef tank with coral and inverts.
some of the fish mentioned are susceptible to uronema but really need clear pics under white light intensity to identify if you have any. Some things to avoid this if uronema is maintaining a tank with clean sandbed absent of uneaten food and debris and not allowing salinity to get low as well as 60 minute ruby rally bath before introduction and of course quarantining
Formalin based is near impossible to find but Chloroquine Phosphate will also work but must be used precisely. Uronema is not an obligate parasite, and can thrive on bacteria, uneaten food, and waste so besides treatment also maintain a clean tank removing waste daily.
To touch up more on this disease which is an oval ciliated motile protozoan that causes tissue necrosis as seen on fish.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

You cannot completely clean your tank of uronema - just like you cannot clean your skin from staph. Uronema is not necessarily communicable - though some fish species are more susceptible. There is not necessarily a reason to treat the other fish (unless showing symptoms) there is no reason for metroplex that I can see. Feeding medicated food can mean that dosing is difficult. I personally would not recommend it - and either way, why?

Apologies - I could not completely understand all of your questions the way worded

No need for dips that I can see - you're with your fish. - and I'm not a veterinarian. Just opinion

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you post pics of the damsels? Not all red spots are Uronema, but green chromis are really prone to it.

It is very, very rare for internal Uronema to spread to other fish.

Don’t do medicated food unless you take the time to dose it properly, metronidazole needs to be 1% by weight in the food mix.

If you haven’t read it yet, take a look at my article on Uronema:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back