So i just started the cycle... I think?

SvenAqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Im pretty much an beginner in this side of the hobby, so excuse my dumb questions.. The last four days i have been setting up an 100g tank (total water volume with sump).

Now on this day I have put a frozen shrimp (just one) in the aquarium and dosed a starting dose of microbe-lift Special blend. so I'm ready with my test kit for the next few days.

1000003640.jpg

so am i on the right side of the road? or was the dosage of special blend unnecessary?

WalkerLovesTheOcean

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you're on the right track. Do you have a ammonia test kit? Start testing for it. One shrimp may not be enough (though I have no idea). I would suggest getting a bottle of Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride and dose accordingly.

OP
OP
S

SvenAqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you're on the right track. Do you have a ammonia test kit? Start testing for it. One shrimp may not be enough (though I have no idea). I would suggest getting a bottle of Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride and dose accordingly.
yes, I have an ammonia test. I will start testing every day starting tomorrow. To keep track.

dr tims is very hard to get here in my country, unfortunately. (Sweden).

FUNGI

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, I have an ammonia test. I will start testing every day starting tomorrow. To keep track.

dr tims is very hard to get here in my country, unfortunately. (Sweden).
You wont need it.
Keep the shrimp in there for 3~4 days......
ammonia will show up.....and then just wait another week and you should have nitrates show up....
BTW, this will be a weak cycle.....when you add any livestock, do slowly so your bacteria system can keep up

OP
OP
S

SvenAqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wont need it.
Keep the shrimp in there for 3~4 days......
ammonia will show up.....and then just wait another week and you should have nitrates show up....
BTW, this will be a weak cycle.....when you add any livestock, do slowly so your bacteria system can keep up

thanks for your reply! Is there anything I can do to make it stronger tho?

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a cooked shrimp? I thought it worked best with uncooked raw shrimp. Maybe doesn't matter. You just need something breaking down and rotting. You can throw some fish food in and let rot also. That shrimp will get stinky, just warning you.

OP
OP
S

SvenAqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update day since Friday - still no ammonia reading.. but i got 0.05ppm in nitrite and 1ppm nitrate

1000003680.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20240714_182011335.mp4
    46.9 MB

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update day since Friday - still no ammonia reading.. but i got 0.05ppm in nitrite and 1ppm nitrate

1000003680.jpg
Could be your Microlift bottled bacteria is processing the ammonia from the shrimp as fast as it decays. That means it's doing it's job! I would just follow the directions on the bottle for dosing. Keep going like you're going and you will be good.

What brand test kits are you using? And you set it up with RODI water, right? Also what king of rock did you use, dry or wet?

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a cooked shrimp? I thought it worked best with uncooked raw shrimp. Maybe doesn't matter. You just need something breaking down and rotting. You can throw some fish food in and let rot also. That shrimp will get stinky, just warning you.

Last time I tossed in a shrimp for cycling it was raw. Worked great. And it'll decompose faster. But It'll end up working either way. Rot is rot.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It wouldn't matter

OP
OP
S

SvenAqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be your Microlift bottled bacteria is processing the ammonia from the shrimp as fast as it decays. That means it's doing it's job! I would just follow the directions on the bottle for dosing. Keep going like you're going and you will be good.

What brand test kits are you using? And you set it up with RODI water, right? Also what king of rock did you use, dry or wet?
I've been using Jbl marine test kit! Yes, im using Rodi-water, just dry rocks (AF Rock) and dry sand.

Attachments

• PXL_20240715_041957091.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240715_041957091.MP.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 23
Back