Tankmates for Royal Gramma - 30 gallon

puddleglum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 30 gallon (36x12x16) soft coral reef, mostly zoas, as my first saltwater tank. I am planning on getting a pair of clowns first, and then a sixline wrasse, and no further fish after those three. The sixline is my favorite fish and I am hoping a pair of clowns, that were in the tank first, will hold their own against it as it gets older and meaner.

Options are good, however, and my second favorite fish is the Royal Gramma. If I chose to not get a sixline, I could see myself getting a Royal Gramma, and two or three other fish. I do like Bangai Cardinals quite a bit. I have read the Royal Grammas can get feisty as they get older, would a Bangai be OK with it?

How feisty do the Royal Grammas get, in your experience?
What are some other fish that would be good tankmates for a Royal Gramma in a 30 gallon?

Thanks,
-pg

Last edited:

Dread Pirate Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bangai would be fine but I have read here that even they can turn on one another until there is only one. (highlander style) lol

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you love your other fish don’t get a sixline. If you are really dead set on one put it in last as they’re aggressive territorial pitas. Better wrasses to think about would be pink streak, possum or you might be able to squeeze in the misnamed yellow “coris” which is actually a smaller halichoeres species. Bangaiis are good option or pajama cardinals. And yes royal gramma is an excellent choice . Hardy peaceful little basslet.

OP
OP
puddleglum

puddleglum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you love your other fish don’t get a sixline. If you are really dead set on one put it in last as they’re aggressive territorial pitas. Better wrasses to think about would be pink streak, possum or you might be able to squeeze in the misnamed yellow “coris” which is actually a smaller halichoeres species. Bangaiis are good option or pajama cardinals. And yes royal gramma is an excellent choice . Hardy peaceful little basslet.
I like the sixline enough to have it alone, honestly, but I was thinking a pair of clowns could give him the business if he goes after them, since they are plenty feisty, and there would be two of them. The clowns would go in first, for sure, and would be well established and have a little size on them before adding the sixline, and then no fish get added.

This is still my preferred option, but I am new, and maybe I will see some options that will tickle my fancy enough to consider the royal gramma, bangai, and something cool I hadn't considered,

Do the yellow corris need deep sand?

Thanks
-pg

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
About an inch of sand in some spots works for yellow wrasse. The tank may be a bit small for one so you may need to consider trading out as it grows. I had one in a 50g and it felt like it was just pushing it.

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 61 56.0%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 41 37.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back