Teardrop clam vs Blue clam?

Gary_Yip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently look into the clam and i am thinking to get one.
I find out those teardrop clam is very expensive, but i personally like the clam with blue color. The blue clam looks a little magical for me.
What do you guys think about clams?

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many beautiful clams. They are always best seen from the top down. If you are new to clams, buy a cheaper one first, learn about them and how they look different from the side and top down, then buy more!!!

Hercaluis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently look into the clam and i am thinking to get one.
I find out those teardrop clam is very expensive, but i personally like the clam with blue color. The blue clam looks a little magical for me.
What do you guys think about clams?
i believe you are referring to a blue maxima clam. They are gorgeous creatures. The smaller the more delicate they are. If you have an established tank it should be fine

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found mine at Petco 5 years ago for $20!! He was 4" long at the time, now bigger than my fist

IMG_20190302_2110356.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If you like blue- maxima is brilliant and one of the hardier clams.

C2D6F8DE-DF37-4227-B9BE-6A74EFDA41D1.jpeg

OP
OP
G

Gary_Yip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many beautiful clams. They are always best seen from the top down. If you are new to clams, buy a cheaper one first, learn about them and how they look different from the side and top down, then buy more!!!
Yes you are right! from top down i can see the color and pattern of the clam. My friend have some clam and he can sell it to me. Do you recommend start with a small one or a big one?

OP
OP
G

Gary_Yip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found mine at Petco 5 years ago for $20!! He was 4" long at the time, now bigger than my fist

IMG_20190302_2110356.jpg
This is a beauty!! I heard you dont really need to feed a clam. They actually eating the nutrient in the water and need good lighting. Is that true or do you feed it anything?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a beauty!! I heard you dont really need to feed a clam. They actually eating the nutrient in the water and need good lighting. Is that true or do you feed it anything?
When he was little, I put a little bit of Phyto in the tank. But now I don't give him anything. He takes the nutrients out of the water, (Nitrates,,Nitrites).

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are just starting with a clam, especially as it sounds you want a maxima, get one about 4" in size. These are a bit more forgiving and stable FME. All tridacna clams are finicky and are on the more difficult side. They are almost impossible to save if something goes wrong. It can be heart breaking.
The small clams (under 2") need more feedings and are more difficult IME. Check out aquacultured ones rather than wild. Most are maricultured now anyway though.
Good luck. They are beautiful creatures.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find a WYSIWYG for sure. I have gotten them from YourReef.com and they were excellent. I also got one direct from ORA through Liveaquaria and it is doing great. Others I have gotten at swaps which are not an option currently.

Steve Pond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find a WYSIWYG for sure. I have gotten them from YourReef.com and they were excellent. I also got one direct from ORA through Liveaquaria and it is doing great. Others I have gotten at swaps which are not an option currently.
Thank you!

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s where I bought my aquacultured maxima. They called me that day and asked me how it was doing and if I had any questions. Clam came clean and healthy. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from them again.

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 32 64.0%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back