The second "tank", this will be a long one!

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plan is turn this old 40 breeder into a respectable paludarium. I'm thinking a terrestrial hermit crab for the land segment with a shallow pool filled with anemones and soft corals on the left (maybe some masked gobies too). Maybe even an even smaller pool for some freshwater or brackish plants on the right(since hermits need access to salt and freshwater). I'm currently collecting info on terrestrial hermits, so any you guys can share would help! This is an ambitious project and will likely have minimal progress until summertime. I have had this idea in the back of my mind and was inspired to start on this tank by @dpoltsdsu and his ongoing paludarium thread here's the link for that: Here
For anyone wondering my 25 lagoon build thread Here will still be ongoing and mostly unaffected by this tank, the lagoon is still my top priority.
20241003_192956.jpg
20241003_192930.jpg

The 40b is sill full of some old reptile stuff, if any of you are looking for that dm me I guess. Those discontinued heat bulbs would be on the table too.
The driftwood will be used for the land section of the paludarium.
Don't expect any updates for awhile, first thing on the docket is making a custom background.

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ambitious idea! I would silicone a glass divider between the land and water sides of the tank. Land hermits require at least a 6" sand bed for molting and using about half of the tank would only allow room for 2 crabs (maybe 3 while they're small) at most. Another potential issue is hermits also need around 80% humidity which would require a solid lid. And yes, they definitely require a decent sized freshwater pool.

OP
OP
BristleWormHater

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ambitious idea! I would silicone a glass divider between the land and water sides of the tank. Land hermits require at least a 6" sand bed for molting and using about half of the tank would only allow room for 2 crabs (maybe 3 while they're small) at most. Another potential issue is hermits also need around 80% humidity which would require a solid lid. And yes, they definitely require a decent sized freshwater pool.
80% humidity might actually help, it would slow the evaporation rate of the water, so no problem with a sealed lid. I was thinking of mounting lights inside the tank anyways. Wasn't sure about a divider but now I am, I think I'll get two custom tanks made to fit inside the 40 breeder for the pools. This tank is a terrarium so I'm not sure how the seals would hold up long term. Maybe it would be better to just buy a 40b with aquarium seals and install a divider?
Thanks for the info I appreciate it!

OP
OP
BristleWormHater

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80% humidity might actually help, it would slow the evaporation rate of the water, so no problem with a sealed lid. I was thinking of mounting lights inside the tank anyways. Wasn't sure about a divider but now I am, I think I'll get two custom tanks made to fit inside the 40 breeder for the pools. This tank is a terrarium so I'm not sure how the seals would hold up long term. Maybe it would be better to just buy a 40b with aquarium seals and install a divider?
I'm definitely buying aquarium sealed 40 breeder they are only $64 at petco

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely wouldn’t put water directly in the terrarium if I was you. It might be fine but not worth the risk when 40b are so inexpensive. Let me know if you have any other hermit questions. I went down the rabbit hole when my MIL bought some for my daughters and was surprised how misunderstood their needs are.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 70 47.0%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 31 20.8%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 35 23.5%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 18 12.1%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 38 25.5%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back