The wandering anemone! Ugh.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First I put him in a mushroom cage while I waited for my anemone guard and he escaped…
IMG_8850.jpeg

And so he went wandering…
EAED373D-1ED3-491B-842D-8D8AB37A1F48.jpeg

And wandering…
F3743E3E-9152-4939-B417-E1B6B455F640.jpeg
And then he went under the frag rack and to the back wall and walked into the powerhead…
IMG_8849.jpeg

But he decided he wasn’t happy so he then climbed onto the return nozzle and so I removed him…
IMG_8802.jpeg

And then he went missing and I knew there was only one place he could be and sure enough he was in the overflow/fleece roller and so I removed him again….
IMG_8848.jpeg

OH MY GOD I HATE THIS NEM! MAKE UP YOUR STUPID MIND OR YOU ARE GOING TO GET BANISHED TO AN ANEMONE BOX!
Never have I ever had an anemone move around so much and decide it didn’t like any of its spots since I introduced it a few weeks ago! Ugh!

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found my pickiest anemones were actually just looking for the perfect crack to plant their foot. I chased lighting and flow for weeks, then I found a really deep crack between two rocks and stuck his foot there. Never moved again. Is your scape cemented together or do you have any ideal cracks you could try?

…I swear this is work appropriate discussion… :face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve found my pickiest anemones were actually just looking for the perfect crack to plant their foot. I chased lighting and flow for weeks, then I found a really deep crack between two rocks and stuck his foot there. Never moved again. Is your scape cemented together or do you have any ideal cracks you could try?

…I swear this is work appropriate discussion… :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Hmm I do. I know he can’t make up his mind.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one does seem to like to travel and you have documented the journey very well.

Put it on top of a rock that has a crevasse where it can hide its foot and hold itself firmly. Then point a powerhead at it so that it is getting gentle flow into its tentacles & mouth. Once it grabs hold of the rock, start drift feeding it many times a day, putting food in the current to drift into its mouth.

If you do it right, it will stay put.

Otherwise, as they say; "Its an enemy."

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This one does seem to like to travel and you have documented the journey very well.

Put it on top of a rock that has a crevasse where it can hide its foot and hold itself firmly. Then point a powerhead at it so that it is getting gentle flow into its tentacles & mouth. Once it grabs hold of the rock, start drift feeding it many times a day, putting food in the current to drift into its mouth.

If you do it right, it will stay put.

Otherwise, as they say; "Its an enemy."
Hmm I may have an idea. The top rock has a really nice hole in it or I could try a clam/anemone cradle!

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And that's how it got the name, Houdini.

1721272929475.png

Are the clowns staying in Houdini? Sometimes they will encourage these gypsies to settle down. GL
Nope I tried to convince them and it was even in their spot for a few days. The clowns then moved to the opposite side of the tank avoiding that wall entirely. So sad!:(

bubbgee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goood idea also what are they in it’s so cute how they are all in a row lol.

They sell these air plant glass with suction cups on Amazon. This solves my issue of putting them closer to the light and still making it look good than an ugly plastic box. Each one has a frag plug so the nem feels there's a rock and each one has a porcelain crab in it. Porcelain crabs will host the anemone immediately.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too had (still have actually, he just hasn’t moved recently) a wandering nem. He’s been in his current spot for a few months now - it’s his second time in this location. Last time he moved he wandered into my little torch garden and took 2 of them out - I chased him from there. I’m hoping this is his “forever home” so he doesn’t kill any other corals. My clowns also want nothing to do with the BTA.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, you jinxed me. I've been following this thread and came home to my anemone off his rock. He's been there probably two or three years and he decided to wander around to the glass so in acclamation box he goes. Here's his Rock, I mounted it to a magnet so I can stick it to the wall so he stays clear of all my Coral.

20240712_161020.jpg

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back