The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked my tank at 5AM today while taking care of the baby, and spotted my Moyers Leopard out and about. Still looks good, so obviously finding enough food when it is out in the middle of the night. Fed some mysis and it pigged out, alongside the butterflies who are begging day and night if they see movement outside the tank, and with the cardinalfish, gramma, dottyback, and Lantern basslet.

Pic of baby Brooke plotting a way to convince my wife we need to go wrasse shopping soon :) We stopped at one of my favorite LFS (Blue Thumb) in Saginaw MI yesterday on the way home from her hearing test and they had some really nice wrasses, but I either already have those species, or don't plan on adding them.

20240618_175837.jpg

For the 100 gallon: I need at least 1 more pencil (Pseudojuloides severnsi), a negrosensis leopard, a meleagris leopard, a bicolor cleaner (Labroides bicolor), and I'd love to grab a Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa, Cirrhilabrus brunneus, Cirrhilabrus briangreenei, and Cirrhilabrus isosceles. Not too concerned with mixing the fairies, as the big boy ryukyuensis seems to keep all the others in check without major aggression, but I also have other tanks where I can move fish if needed.

Still would like to grab a couple other wrasses for the 240 gallon as well, primarily:
Gomphosus varius, anchor tuskfish (Choerodon anchorago), and possibly another Thalassoma (Thalassoma quinquevittatum, bifasciatum, or amblycephalum).

Last edited:

Slocke

I'm pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what to do!?! My LFS has white leopards, black leopards, A lineatus, A meleagrides, and lubbocks!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 43

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what to do!?! My LFS has white leopards, black leopards, A lineatus, A meleagrides, and lubbocks!!!
What is a white leopard? Regardless, answer is D. All of the above

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A second radiant is a must and a trio of black leopards plus a pair of lineatus plus the lubbocki and a second meleagrides!

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A second radiant is a must and a trio of black leopards plus a pair of lineatus plus the lubbocki and a second meleagrides!
Finally someone speaking some sense! @Slocke retirement is not an option in the future, just buy fish! :zany-face:

Slocke

I'm pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have three fish… all have spots. Two are very similar and the third has a very similar species name to one of the other two.
All together cost less then these tilefish and none are that giant batfish.

Attachments

• IMG_1028.jpeg
    IMG_1028.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1029.jpeg
    IMG_1029.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 48

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have three fish… all have spots. Two are very similar and the third has a very similar species name to one of the other two.
Not sure how you left that batfish behind--I'm sure that would have aged well. Assume you left with the finespot, maybe also a negrosensis? No idea on #3.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it has to be;
Macropharyngodon meleagris
Macropharyngodon negrosensis
Anampses lineatus or meleagrides and I’m betting it was the meleagrides.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One wrasse you probably forget I own… There’s the odd day I see her just appear and think ‘oh yeah I have her as well’. My Kuiter’s female.
IMG_1323.jpeg

In fact I don’t really show off many of my wrasses at all aside from the main 3-4 that are kind of the show stoppers.

Slocke

I'm pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how you left that batfish behind--I'm sure that would have aged well. Assume you left with the finespot, maybe also a negrosensis? No idea on #3.
Well, it has to be;
Macropharyngodon meleagris
Macropharyngodon negrosensis
Anampses lineatus or meleagrides and I’m betting it was the meleagrides.
Well one of you is close…

From the clues it had to be both M meleagris and A meleagrides. My clue for the third was it looked very similar to one so it could have been another leopard but it is in fact the A lineatus. I would have gotten a negrosensis but unfortunately they only had one and it did not look great.

So the two tamarins look very healthy. The leopard ate at the store but was definitely a bit stressed. They do have to go through QT as the lineatus has stringy white poo. But just prazi I think

Attachments

• IMG_1032.jpeg
    IMG_1032.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1031.jpeg
    IMG_1031.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 28

Slocke

I'm pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I reading that right? A $95 Watanabei?
Well if you think that’s good then keep reading because thats $275 for an oreni tilefish

The three fish I bought were $55 for Al, $60 for Mm, and $70 for Am because it was a medium while the other two were small.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well one of you is close…

From the clues it had to be both M meleagris and A meleagrides. My clue for the third was it looked very similar to one so it could have been another leopard but it is in fact the A lineatus. I would have gotten a negrosensis but unfortunately they only had one and it did not look great.

So the two tamarins look very healthy. The leopard ate at the store but was definitely a bit stressed. They do have to go through QT as the lineatus has stringy white poo. But just prazi I think
Can’t wait to see if you can finally achieve a male, I wonder if we need to keep them in groups to get a transitioner

Slocke

I'm pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized where you got fine spot from :face-with-tears-of-joy: .
I was like fine spot??? I gave you a list of fish Joseph and none of them were a finespot?! But I actually misled you with the oreni tilefish photo

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized where you got fine spot from :face-with-tears-of-joy: .
I was like fine spot??? I gave you a list of fish Joseph and none of them were a finespot?! But I actually misled you with the oreni tilefish photo
There is also "Finespot fairy wrasse $30" written on the glass, which I would find very hard to pass up. That's like 2 Statbucks lattes in the stretch between Vegas and the CA border where everyone gets trapped and there's only one stop to pee and they extort you for triple priced coffee.. I may have unhealed scars from the past...

Slocke

I'm pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also "Finespot fairy wrasse $30" written on the glass, which I would find very hard to pass up. That's like 2 Statbucks lattes in the stretch between Vegas and the CA border where everyone gets trapped and there's only one stop to pee and they extort you for triple priced coffee.. I may have unhealed scars from the past...
Well I’ve been to your state twice and I’m not sure you can get two lattes for $30.

So feeling very confident on the tamarins. 50% on the leopard. It buried itself in some of my spilled sand which is not deep enough. There is a tub of deeper sand close by.

IMG_1038.jpeg
IMG_1037.jpeg
IMG_1036.jpeg

Slocke

I'm pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’ve been to your state twice and I’m not sure you can get two lattes for $30.

So feeling very confident on the tamarins. 50% on the leopard. It buried itself in some of my spilled sand which is not deep enough. There is a tub of deeper sand close by.

IMG_1038.jpeg
IMG_1037.jpeg
IMG_1036.jpeg
I love how the tamarins follow each other around. I saw this with the chrysocephalus in Hawaii too.
@i cant think do your wrasse pairs do this? Is it an Anampses thing or do others do it?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how the tamarins follow each other around. I saw this with the chrysocephalus in Hawaii too.
@i cant think do your wrasse pairs do this? Is it an Anampses thing or do others do it?
My radiants did that and so did my Pink Streaks - if you saw one you knew the other was nearby. My Paracheilinus pair however doesn’t really behave like a pair and instead more like a harem of different species with a female and a male of one species.

I’d love a couple more pairs - most of the new wrasses I get will probably just be females of the males I have already.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_1038.jpeg
IMG_1037.jpeg
IMG_1036.jpeg
I already want a lennardi… don’t make me want a lineatus too :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well if you think that’s good then keep reading because thats $275 for an oreni tilefish

The three fish I bought were $55 for Al, $60 for Mm, and $70 for Am because it was a medium while the other two were small.

I thought that said green tilefish, not knowing what it was I didn't pay much attention but $275 for an Oreni is smoking. I thought my LFS had a decent deal at $600.

I need some information on the store you go to. I'm going to have to make a special trip one day. Lol

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 14 18.7%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 11 14.7%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back