things taking root between polyps (zoa and lord)

sd_tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These look somewhat plant like, but wondering what these are growing between polyps (if they are the same thing). I did have some aptasia that i have tried to kill but these don't quite look the same to my newbie eye.

And of course, what should i do about them.. both can be removed from the tank / dipped if needed. I also think the my clove polyps have one as well.

phillyb614

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As for what do, the only success I had was getting peppermint shrimp and a filefish. I tried using all the chemicals. That method just didn’t work for me.

OP
OP
S

sd_tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grr. so, what can i do to leverage the fact that the lord is on a plug. I have tried mechanical removal but the aiptasia collapes and runs deep into the skeleton area.. i have gotten a few that way, but is there anything else? Most of the aiptasia solutions are trying to deal with things attached to live rock so wondering if there is still a nuclear (and maybe simpler) option while on a plug.

FWIW I did a hydrogen peroxide dip (200ml 3% in 1L seawater) on this lord maybe two weeks ago so that didn't do it

OP
OP
S

sd_tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got peppermint shrimp, but he is mostly interested in hiding and coming out for mere moments to eat everyone elses food before hiding again so he's not working too hard. This is also a 15G nano so no filefish.. nudibranch i was thinking till i saw how expensive the "minimum 3" was going to be heh

phillyb614

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would try cutting back on your feedings then.

There is also the possibility that you have a peppermint that isn’t the correct species for eating aiptasia. I believe there is like 6 different types. IDK. I asked my LFS is they were the correct kind and they said they were. I asked them if they didn’t eat any, would they give me a refund. They said yes, because they were very confident. They were right.

kchristensen8064

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Grr. so, what can i do to leverage the fact that the lord is on a plug. I have tried mechanical removal but the aiptasia collapes and runs deep into the skeleton area.. i have gotten a few that way, but is there anything else? Most of the aiptasia solutions are trying to deal with things attached to live rock so wondering if there is still a nuclear (and maybe simpler) option while on a plug.

FWIW I did a hydrogen peroxide dip (200ml 3% in 1L seawater) on this lord maybe two weeks ago so that didn't do it
You can get a syringe from the pharmacy and try injecting it with lemon juice, I have had luck that way.

OP
OP
S

sd_tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also the possibility that you have a peppermint that isn’t the correct species for eating aiptasia. I believe there is like 6 different types. IDK. I asked my LFS is they were the correct kind and they said they were. I asked them if they didn’t eat any, would they give me a refund. They said yes, because they were very confident. They were right.
Yeah, when i asked LFS about peppermint, the guy brought it up even before i did.. "people like these for eating aiptasia" - doesn't mean he actually had those, but he knew what i was after

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the hydroids (that is what I think they are) take the frag out and tear them off, rinse frag in a cup of tank water. For the aiptasia if its not directly touching coral flesh you can try to pull the frag out and super glue gel that sucker. Dip the frag in tank water to start the process of the super glue hardening.

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, those are hydroids:
Yeah, I haven't narrowed down the exact variety yet, but they're hydroids, most likely from the suborder Capitata - they might be an Asyncoryne species, but I need to do some more reading up on the families in the suborder to say for sure.

OP
OP
S

sd_tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, took both frags out
- Zoas / Hydroids - Fell immediately to hydrogen peroxide, turned into white strings immediately
- Acan / Aptasia - per usual, once frag disturbed aptasia hides and i couldn't find it. Topical application of lemon juice and tweezer scraping in general area - aptasia was back with a couple less arms an hour later. I moved frag directly infront of peppermint shrimp cave last night.. so far this morning i don't see aptasia, so I am crossing my fingers that it got eaten / proves i have the right kind of peppermint shrimp

thanks!

phillyb614

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If things turn out to where the shrimp is the one that took care of the problem, and your shrimp is not bothering any of your corals, do whatever you can to keep that little guy. If you end up not having anymore aptasia, make sure to try to target feed him so he doesn’t go after your corals. Least that’s what I do and it has worked

HAVE YOU EVER EXPERIENCED A TANK EMERGENCY? SHARE YOUR STORY IN THE COMMENTS!

• Unfortunately, yes.

Votes: 57 66.3%
  • Thankfully, no.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other (pleas explain).

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back