thoughts on shallow pico reef tanks

sarahbobeara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the shallow reef tanks. The one by reef casa is the one ive found so far that im interested in. What are peoples thoughts? ANYONE have a similar one ?
16” x Length 15” x Height 7”

https://reefcasa.com/product/pico-reef-tank/?currency=USD

Can i see peoples tanks that have same dimensions? Im having a hard time envisioning the tank size

how do people like the height of 7 inches?

I have an 11 inch tall freshwater and I HATE PUTTING MY HANDS IN IT. I have very sensitive skin/eczema so i just dread putting my hands in. So i want a shallow wide tank. But is 7 inches TOO short for anything to live in?

I have thinking just 1 nemo and invertebrates and soft corals. I have no interest in large fish. I mainly just want corals.

Im deciding between the 16” x Length 15” x Height 7” and the Height 11" tall one. but the 11 inches makes me scared i wont do as much maintenence on it because of my exzema.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Just want to forewarn you that this would be considered more of an expert level tank in the saltwater hobby. With is being roughly 7 gallons, minus displacement from rocks and sand, it will need to be monitored carefully.

The smaller the tank, the easier parameter swings happen. As far as being concerned with having to put your hands in the tank, you don't really have to... I have a 90g and it's been years since I got my hands wet.

The only time you need to is when adding coral or removing algae. Both can be done with tools or gloves. Algae after the first year of a tank maturing is basically a non factor. You can even skip a lot of that time frame by using ocean direct rock.

Also just saw you mentioned wanting a clownfish. These require a 20g tank and won't be happy at all in this size.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of shallow tanks but if you put a lid on it, it doesn’t look so great since there’s not much viewing area from the front. If you are more of a coral person then it could certainly make an awesome display. You can even have rock above the water.

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 53 32.9%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 77 47.8%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 16 9.9%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 32 19.9%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 39 24.2%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 19 11.8%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 40 24.8%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back